Monday, May 2, 2011

Perseverance

Grand Canyon
    Last night, my husband woke me.  "We got him", he says.  He turned on the television and clarified, "We got Bin Laden."  "What?" I was still half asleep, but I knew if he was waking me up...it couldn't be one of his jokes.  Besides, April fool's day was long over.  So many years, so much time had passed.  We had changed so much.  But I can still remember the events of September 11th, as if it was yesterday.
  We left MDW (The Military District of Washington) in August 2001, on our way to our new assignment at Fort Huachuca, Arizona.  I was leaving a wonderful position that I hated to give up, but I knew it was important to keep our family together.  We arrived, set up our new home, and settled in.  Before the month was out, we returned to Virginia for my 20th high school reunion.  : )   
   We flew with our youngest, then 3 1/2.  After the reunion, we returned to Arizona, and to our new assignments.  We were at work already the morning they struck us.  Our youngest was at the child care facility.  I got word that the facility was closing.  Parents were told to pick up their kids, take them home.  I was the senior person.  I could not just pick up and leave.  Neither could my husband.  We were mission essential personnel.  I wrote a quick note giving permission for one of my young Non-Commissioned officers (also with a child to pick up) to bring our son to me.  There were no problems.  He came in, sat, and colored while I focused on the mission.  It all happened so fast, and there was a time difference.  We were hard at work before all the planes had even come down.  The unit, the entire base was quick to react.  Still, it seemed so surreal from where we were, much like watching a movie or in our case, listening to a radio program.  Even with all the hurried preparation, Fort Huachuca could be described as peaceful.  We were so removed from what was happening back east.  When a more Senior Officer came in, I was told our son couldn't be there in the building.  The problem was, we hadn't been on post long enough to initiate a family care plan.  We were caught by surprise, still effectively in-processing and we knew no one who could take him.  Eventually, I was told I would have to take him home.  I did as I was told until other plans could be made.  For the next few hours, I sat and watched.  It seemed we were just there.  
   When our youngest came in to the room, he asked me two questions.  He wanted to know who was on the planes.  I explained as best I could.  Truth is I was still trying to figure out what was going on.  We all were.    He also wanted to know if his Uncle Chuck was all right.  He recognized the Pentagon.  His father had worked there and he knew his Godfather (whom he called Uncle) worked in the same building.  I just said "I'm sure he is".  I knew how very resourceful he was and well, somehow I thought I would just feel it if anything had happened.  Over the next few days, everything became much like a proficient military machine.  And thankfully, the childcare facility reopened.  I could return to the mission.  
Fort Huachuca - November 2002

While Dad was away


  After a year in Operations, my husband took command.  He deployed soon afterward and we were left alone.  I should have gone with him, but because of my knee injury, I was stuck in the middle of my first medical board.  The following spring, my father died.  I flew back to Virginia with our youngest.  My husband was able to come back for a few days to attend the funeral.  Afterwards, we flew back to Arizona together.  The next day was Valentine's Day.  That was when he left again...returning to the war.  He missed birthdays, holidays, karate exhibitions, etc.  Communicators by profession, we celebrated over the phone and over email.  With the help of a Preschool teacher, our youngest learned to read and write early so he could reach out to his dad who was gone a little over a year and a half.  
Mrs. Gentry, Preschool teacher and friend
Deployments weren't new to us.  I'd served in Operation Desert Storm and in Operation Restore Hope in Somalia (Mogadishu).  He'd served in Operation Desert Storm, and in Operation Uphold Democracy (Haiti).  Now he was in Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I was busy back home with work, the medical board appointments, my spouse duties, and well, "Mission mom", but I'll admit I was jealous.  No soldier wants to be left out of the fight they spend their lives training for.  Deep down, I really wanted to be over there by his side in the heat of it.  In the end, they retired me from the military (at least the uniformed position).  And eventually, my husband returned home with his unit.  We changed command, and after three years living in Arizona, we left our home in Arizona.  I left as a spouse (a mission I felt only partially trained for).  He continued to serve.  In our new home, back east, we could be closer to family.  Years later, he retired from active service.  One thing I have learned is you can take the soldier out of the fight, but you can't take the fight out of the soldier.
   This morning, when he jumped on the bed waking me to tell me the news about Osama Bin Laden, I could honestly hear the soldier in his voice.  To all those who serve and those who have served, thank you.  This mission is accomplished.  Today, the sun is shining and there is a little less evil in the world.   
            
Giving up command 2004
Retirement 
   So, you may ask...what does this little story have to do with health and fitness?  The way I see it, we all persevere.  We get up every day to do what we know we must do to make our lives (and yes this world) a better place.  We fight to stay in shape, to eat right, to live long and fruitful lives.  We love our families, take care of them.  In our work, be it paid or not, we strive to be professional and dedicated.  Through it all, through adversity and challenge, we persevere.  We soldier on even if sometimes takes years to accomplish the mission.  : )

    

No comments:

Post a Comment