Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Friend, Chuck Norris

The autograph
    I had the strangest dream last night.  Chuck Norris was standing there not five feet away from me wearing a "Billy Jack" hat, like the one from the 1971 movie version.  Hey, come on...I said it was a strange dream.  He was smiling, so I walked towards him.  That's when he leaned over, gave me a big hug, and told me he was proud of me and all I'm doing with the blog, reaching out hoping to inspire others to eat healthier and exercise more.  I was literally overcome with emotion.  My heart started beating so rapidly, it woke me from a sound sleep.  Nearly in tears, I sat there for a minute, having absolutely no idea where I was.  Ever feel like that?  Though it was obviously just a dream, it gave me a warm fuzzy kind of feeling, like I was on track with the whole fitness thing.  Even if it was all in my mind, it didn't matter.  I now had the Chuck Norris Seal of Approval.  
   Back in the 1970's, when I was close in age to what our youngest is now, I saw him for the first time.  My father would take us to the Scout Shows at Norfolk Scope every year.  Scouting was a family event, even though I was the only girl in a family where Mom, Dad, and my brothers were all scouts (or leaders).  Let's face it, I came along because I was told I had to.  Troop 209 was actively involved.  Me?  I had no mission, no purpose there.  I wondered around looking for well...anything to kill the boredom.  In those days, Chuck Norris would be up on the stage, an exhibition to promote fitness and his line of martial arts studios.  His folks would hand out sign up sheets giving away a free lesson and hoping to gain new students.  I remember walking by the stage that first time.  I looked up and could not look away.  He and his students seemed to fly through the air pretending to battle each other.  Chuck was their leader.  He was not only handsome, but he moved like no man I had ever seen.  I didn't know anyone who knew martial arts.  At the time, I hadn't even seen it in a movie or on television.  I was enthralled.  Let me tell you, I signed up for that free class every year from then on.  Every year, they called our house (I think they called everyone who signed up).  And every year, my father said no.  We could never afford martial arts classes.  You know, I think it broke my heart whenever he said it.  I just knew I could do it, be strong and powerful like those other students.  I was small, but I just needed someone to believe I could do it...someone other than me, of course.    
  Not long after, my eldest brother was working for the Norfolk Yellow cab company as a mechanic.  I don't know how he did it.  Somebody knew somebody else, I guess...but he managed to get tickets for an exhibition at Chuck Norris' local studio.  He asked if I wanted to come along.  It was amazing, the absolute coolest thing I had ever experienced.  And the best part...after the exhibition, I got to meet him face to face...Chuck Norris himself.  As I walked up to the table to get my autograph, he looked up.  He smiled and I swear he winked at me.  Now, maybe he had something in his eye, but my teenage heart melted and I probably blushed.  He asked for my name, then wrote, "Terry, Your friend, Chuck Norris".  I remember he even spelled my name right..with a "Y" and not an "I".  Even that little thing meant something so special to me.  
   I went back to my life after that, and joined the Army following high school.  In Germany, I saw a magazine that seemed to be all about him.  I bought it, and first chance I got, I found a fan address where I could send it to him.  I just thought he'd like it.  I have no idea if he ever received it.  It didn't really matter, I guess.  Its the thought that counts.  He was a big star by then, making movies, writing books, doing what famous people do.  He went on to make a very popular television show.  I followed his career, read one of his books, and watched all his movies.  I never thought of myself as a fan though.  I enjoyed his work, but I saw myself as more of an admirer than a fan.  He was the teacher, the Master, and I had once wished to be a student of martial arts.  
   Years later, I married a wonderful man and we had a son of our own.  When my husband deployed to Iraq, I signed our youngest up for karate classes through a parks and recreation program.  He was a month shy of age six at the time.  He studied with Sensei Matt.  Matt became like a surrogate father figure in his dad's absence, a huge help to his active duty mom.  He studied Isshin Shorin Ru Karate (I probably spelled that wrong).  Every quarter, he had a tournament.  There were trophies and medals, but best of all, there was discipline and focus.  
   When we left Arizona, he changed to Tai Kwon Do.  There, with Master Jett, he earned his black belt.  He was nine.  I believe that five years of martial arts training provided him with skills that put him on the right track for the rest of his life.  I am glad we were fortunate enough not to have to say no.   
    He is in his final year of middle school now.  Its funny, but with the internet, posters, and T-shirts, Chuck Norris is still huge with the kids.  Just this morning, we were discussing Chuck Norris "facts".  He tells me, "Mom, Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door."  We laughed and I reminisced about those days long ago when I met the seemingly immortal man himself.  
   I know times change and people grow.  Nowadays, I can turn on the television and find him still promoting health and fitness, selling his "Total Gym".  He is still in great shape and I swear that man never ages.  
I told my husband about the strange dream.  He said my subconscious was telling me I am proud of my accomplishments over the last year.  I don't know.  I think maybe...I have finally found the secret of "Terry's" inner strength.  Thank you Chuck...my friend.  I'm sorry I never got to take your classes.  Please know that regardless of this, over the past 35 years, you have always been there...an inspiration to me.           

No comments:

Post a Comment