Monday, May 16, 2011

Wicked, wicked Popcorn

A new way to satisfy those wicked urges

Sent by Aliens?

    When I was a little girl, my mother never ate popcorn.  As a matter of fact, she literally had to leave the room whenever anyone in the family had it.  She once told me she had gotten sick on popcorn during her first pregnancy with my eldest brother (back in 1952).  After that, she never touched the stuff.  It made her nauseous even to be around it.  I always thought that was sad.  I have always loved popcorn.  I honestly used to think it was our special family food.  After all, my maiden name is "Mays (Maize)".  Regardless of my mother's ill feeling towards the stuff, my father would invade her kitchen every weekend to make it.  He did it the old fashioned way.  He poured in the kernels, and vigorously shook the covered pan until they all popped.  And I don't remember him ever burning anything.  He was a pro popcorn popper.  (there I go with the tongue twisters again).  Afterwards, he would melt butter...the real stuff, pour it over, and well...you know what?  He didn't share.  He made it.  It was his.  And you didn't argue with Dad.  No, we all just sat there smelling that wicked smell of popcorn, wishing we had our own.   
    Eventually, God created Jiffy pop popcorn.  Come on...it had to have been God that created it.  I mean, if not God, then who?  Aliens from another world?  It was perfect for kids, especially those who weren't allowed to make it in the more complicated way Dad did.  Besides, I swear my father would count the kernels in his bagged popcorn.  With Jiffy pop, we could actually show him we hadn't broken his rules and purloined his stash.  
    Then one day, we grew up and could get popcorn from movie theaters, carnivals, circuses, etc.  I was never much for the circuses...I have a thing about clowns..scary.          


For home


   When I was twenty-one, I worked at a bar.  We used to over salt the popcorn and give it to the customers for free, just so they would buy more drinks.  Sneaky huh?  Yes, I am very familiar with popcorn and its wicked, wicked ways.  It tempts and it teases and we never ever outgrow it.  Then again, who really wants to?  Even today, I love the inviting smell of popcorn.  Plain, buttered, or sweet kettle corn, its hard to resist.  Until recently, my husband and I would lovingly battle over the popcorn in the theater.  He wanted butter.  I did not.  Today, when we get it, we don't add butter.  As for home, we are more selective.  We always try to buy whole grain microwave popcorn.  
   This past Saturday, I went to the movies with friends.  As I walked in to the theater, the smell permeated the large room.  Temptation tormented me.  Somewhere deep inside, I ached for those delicious satisfying snacks.  Slowly I approached the counter.  Would I succumb or would I have the willpower to resist?  
   Then I saw a sign.  No really...I saw a sign for Smart movie snacks.  So instead of getting that bag of popcorn I usually get (the smallest they offer), I decided to try something new.  For $7.00, I could get a $4.00 bottle of water (I know...right?  What a rip off.  I pay that much for a case at the store) with three individual smart snacks.  Included with the smart snacks was Chiquita Fruit chips, an Odwalla Trail Mix Bar, and get this...PopCorners Popped Corn Chips.  They are just what the bag advertises..."The New Shape of Popcorn"...all natural, gluten free, no trans fat, and only 140 calories a bag.  Best of all, these new PopCorners actually satisfied my craving for the popcorn.  
   It may have a history of being wicked, but its not all bad.  There are better options out there.   All we need to do is see the signs...whole grain, all natural, smarter popcorn.  We can make healthier choices and still satisfy our taste buds.  That's what its all about right?  Making better choices without giving up on taste?  : )   


No comments:

Post a Comment