Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oh No, They Didn't!

   I guess I asked for it, making those absolutely decadent cupcakes last night.  When we drove up to the VFW (where the boy scouts meet), I could see they were grilling.  I guess I knew deep down in my soul it wasn't shrimp kabobs.  It had to be something easy.  Thats it.  I was being punished.  I should have made the watermelon fruit bowl.  I should have thought about the kids, about their health...but I didn't.  And I was going to hell with a cheeseburger in my hand. Lord help me.  I am a sinner.
   We walked in.  Our young scout quickly eluded us for his friends.  My husband found some "men" to talk to.  For a minute there, I felt I was sitting alone.  But eventually he turned around, scooted his chair so he no longer had his back to me, and I was again included in the conversation.  The initial ceremonies were over in no time at all and we (the guests) were instructed to get in line for chow (they are a lot of old soldiers in the scout leadership).
   As I stood in line, I felt a little like a prisoner heading for the gallows.  This was to be my punishment. I was going to face my enemy right here and right now.  I was going to have to stand on the field of battle and decide "to eat or not to eat".  The first lady serving asked if I wanted a cheeseburger on a white bun.  The guy in front of me in line asked for no bun (Atkins?)  The second lady serving asked if I wanted a hot dog, a chili dog perhaps?  I took a deep breath.  I thought back to my early days in the Army, in Germany, back when I was 20lbs heavier.  Chili cheese dogs were one of my passions, one of my guilty pleasures.  I held my plate to my chest, smiled, and as I slowly passed, I said no thank you.  I have given up beef and well...whatever that hot dog was made up, I was sure I had given that up too.  The only thing left was cole slaw.  I took a little.  Even with the mayonnaise, I was sure I would not be struck with a lightening bolt by the Gods of Health and Fitness for eating a little cole slaw.  I desperately wished I had eaten before we left home.  Three times now, I have encountered this same problem at the same quarterly event.  Next time, I will at least have a healthy snack before we head out.  When I sat down, my husband gave me that, "I knew you wouldn't take anything" look he sometimes gives me.  He does this a lot.  Always the gentlemen, he gladly gave me his portion of cole slaw.  I looked in my purse, but I had forgotten to pick up a protein bar.  I sighed.  It was going to be a long night.  I did find one of my whey protein packets.  All was not lost.  For dessert, I had a fruit tart.  I ate the fruit...left the tart.  One day, they might start serving healthy foods at these events.  I mean, a scout is supposed to be physically strong.  Shouldn't we be teaching them how to eat nutritious meals?
   We got home after 2100hrs (9pm).  I thought I would be hungry, but after a glass of water and a cup of tea, I was fine for the night.  I didn't sleep much.  My stupid foot has been bothering me.  I worried if I would even be able to walk today.  But, I got up, and followed my normal routine.  The cat likes to walk down the stairs with me (probably because I usually feed her).  She has been complaining about a bad foot too.  We make quite the pair, the cat and I, limping down the stairs.  I am usually alright once I get going.  Its just those first few steps in the morning that I struggle with.  I still managed to walk my five miles, bringing me to a solid 550 in my goal of 1000 for the year.  At this rate, I might actually pass my goal.  I like the way that feels.  I've never thought of myself as an overachiever.  I've always been the one glad just to finish before the sun goes down...you know?  Its so disheartening when you come to the finish line in a race and up ahead, everyone has packed up.  I was feeling pretty good for a Thursday.  I did some extra weight repetitions...400 instead of my normal 300.  Yes, I still did 100 sit ups and 100 butt lifts.  I did 50 push ups.  I may do more later in the day depending on how the day goes.
   I changed up what I normally eat though.  I had my Greek yogurt at 1000hrs (10am)..no smoothie.  I met my husband for lunch at Panera bread.  We hadn't been there in ages.  I had so little to eat last night, I figured I could go all out and have one of their amazing salads.  I was looking for a salad with fruit, specifically the strawberry poppyseed salad.  They said it doesn't become available until 2 June (note: put this on calendar).  Instead, I had the BBQ chicken chopped salad and a water.  It was so good.  I know it was huge (about 500 calories huge), but..hey, I was a hungry girl.  Besides, I was a wall of willpower the night before.  The salad was so filling, I tossed the apple in my purse to bring home.  http://www.paneranutrition.com/  If you haven't been to Panera Bread in a while, you should go.  And check out the cool nutrition calculator before you order.  Have a healthy day and remember...make good choices.  I do.
         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment