Thursday, May 19, 2011

Love and Sweat


   This morning, the alarm went off.  After numerous taps on our snooze buttons, I hopped up and began making my side of the bed.  My husband rolled over.  He wanted to stay there.  I can't say as I blame him.  He's been traveling a lot and I know it wears him out.  So, I let him lay there while I donned my workout clothes.  I think I must have motivated him somehow because, after watching me get dressed, he said, "I think I'm going to run."  I couldn't help but think, "He's a good boy."  We went downstairs and, while I went through the usual morning routine, he ran on the treadmill.  I never asked how far he went, or how fast, but he was seriously sweaty when he came back to the kitchen.  Then, he did something he hasn't done in a while.  He took his vitamins.  Together, we said goodbye to our youngest as he headed out for school.  


  Now it was my turn.  I asked if he would come down with me.  I wanted to try something new.  For a change of pace, I wanted to try lifting his curl bar.  I was used to my smaller weights, but I was avoiding his equipment.  I was worried his heavier bar with additional weights might be too much for me.  He came down, changed up the weights a bit, and gave me a quick lesson on how to get the most from this strange looking piece of equipment.  As he stood behind me, showing me the proper form, I couldn't help but think that this is by far the most romantic thing we do together.  Think about it.  Working out, you don't look your best. You sweat (well, I glow...he sweats).  You aren't showered and made up pretty.  Its all about getting physical.  Maybe there is a hint of primal sensuality, but really its more about getting in shape and working towards than ultimate goal...whatever it may be.  It may be as simple as living a longer, healthier life...growing old together...and "curling" up with the one you love for as long as you both may live. 
  After my lesson, he went up to shower, get ready for work, while I continued with my workout.  My knee has been acting up today.  Its probably the rainy weather.  Still, I managed my five miles, steadily raising the incline of the treadmill.  It wasn't long before I was sweating (glowing) like a pig.  He came down to check on me before heading out.  Dressed in his nice work clothes, he hopped up behind me on the treadmill...standing on the sides, and leaned over to kiss me.  He didn't want to mess with my rhythmic pace.  "I love you. See you tonight."  I smiled back.  " Love you too.  Have a great day."  As I continued my workout, my mind wandered, reminiscing about days long ago.    
   My husband and I have come a long way.  Both of us retired Army officers, we have always been very active people.  During our time together, he has commanded both a Battalion and Brigade.  I have commanded a company.  But over the years, I have struggled to maintain my fitness level.  I was plagued early on with undiagnosed knee issues that eventually turned out to be...not all in my head, contrary to what many believed.  It took nearly twenty years before I found a doctor who discovered what was actually wrong with my knees.  By then, it was too late.  While I was pushing myself trying to hide the pain, popping Motrin like big, hard to swallow, M and M's, I inadvertently caused damage to my back and neck.  
   Though my body will never completely recover from the damage I did during my career, I learned a valuable lesson in those years.  I learned to pay attention, to listen to my body.  And I now know what I am personally capable of.  I know when to push and when not to push.  I have found that one never stops learning about health and fitness.  We learn, we grow (or shrink), and we change.  And because of this, I am a healthier, more fit woman than I ever was...as a soldier.  Believe me when I say...it is never too late.  You are never too old or too broken...to begin again...and to be a healthier you.  

Colonel's Division volleyball team Summer 1996   

          

Fort Bragg, Signal 10K on/about 1998 (and approx 20 lbs heavier than now) 

No comments:

Post a Comment