Wednesday, May 11, 2011

That Girl In The Mirror


   This morning, when I woke up, I was alone.  My husband had to leave early.  No one to help me make the bed.  Strange how I am so used to that being one of the routine things we do together as a couple.  Still, even when alone, I hit the snooze button at 0600 and again at 0609.  I finally got up at 0618hrs.  Sorry for the military time.  Some old habits die hard.  I got dressed and popped my head in our son's door, "Five more minutes".  I don't know why he doesn't use the alarm clock we bought him.  Maybe next year.  I fed his fish, then headed downstairs.  Coffee maker on, cat fed, vitamins taken...and news turned on...check and double check.  I drank a glass of water, then refilled it and sat it on the coffee table.  A reminder to keep drinking water.  Five minutes had more than passed.  "Time to get up now".  I heard movement upstairs.  After a quick pop tart and a yogurt I insisted he eat, he got ready for the bus.  
   Once the bus leaves, I am ready to begin my workout.  Today is supposed to be a high pollen count day.  I believe it.  My car is tinted yellow.  I really need to wash it, but I'm feeling lazy.  I mean...isn't it supposed to rain soon?  I decided to just walk the treadmill.  I've increased from 20 to 30 push ups each day and I have been doing my sit ups on the weight bench.  It couldn't be helped.  I was getting rug burns on my tushy.  The mats are not cushioned enough to protect me and my bony...well, you know.  I found myself avoiding my sit ups.  Can't do that.  You know why...because everything counts.  
   I finished my workout and went up to shower.  Believe me...I needed it.  I sweat like crazy.  Okay, you are right.  Ladies don't sweat.  They glow.  After my shower, I came downstairs.  I walked by the mirror.  Sometimes, its still hard to believe how much I've changed.  I used to always feel so tired and poofy.  Now, with all this healthy living, I see the woman I always hoped for...the fit me.  And I like her.  I want to keep her this way.     
   I remember the days long ago when I was on the Atkins Diet.  Yes, I did Atkins.  I lost weight too.  The pounds melted off even with very little exercise.  I loved eating things like omelets.  But, it was seriously difficult to stay on that diet.  I couldn't force myself to eat all that meat.  And I really really missed fruit.   It was okay for the short term, I guess.  After a while, I just gained the weight back.  There are a lot of diets out there to choose from.  And for many, they actually work.  There's Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Nutrasystem, The Zone, South Beach, etc...What they offer is a lifeline, a glance at what one can be with a little commitment.  If you aren't careful, you can loose your grip, and fall back in to bad habits.  I know.  I did.
   I won't be doing any more of those popular diets.  I now know the secret to losing weight and keeping it off.  I had been told for years and well...I just didn't listen.  You have to combine healthy eating with a good exercise program...one you will stick to.   Now, when I look at that girl in the mirror, I see someone who does just that.  I can stand here and say that I wish I had listened long ago.  I wish I had made better choices when I was younger.  I wish I had not made excuses or said those self destructive words..."Come on...A little bit won't hurt."  Hindsight is 20-20...  Today, at age 47, I am a smarter, healthier woman...not because I found a magic pill to make my pain go away or a magic lotion to turn back time, but because I listened to that girl in the mirror say, "You can do this.  You can be a healthier you."  


  A quick note...the black bean and mixed pepper salad was a huge hit.  As a reminder, here is the recipe:
Empty a can of black beans (do not warm) into a bowl.  Add three chopped peppers (one red, one green, and one yellow).  Add 1/2 of a chopped mango.  Take the remainder of the mango and blend with Italian dressing (I used just under 2/3 cup with an equal portion of mango).  If you wish, add extra mango to the dish.  My husband loves fresh mango.  Toss like a salad, chill and serve.  Its an incredible side dish.  Mmmmm.   : )


      

    

1 comment:

  1. I am new to "blogging" an dhave only read a handful in my time because I get easily bored. Your blog has really hit home with me! I thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait to read more! We seem to have a few things in common- ODU, military experience, fitness and health eating! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete