Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day


   Last night, we went to the Kentucky Derby Party at a friend's house.  I tried to be good, but it wasn't easy.   I am not a bourbon drinker, but who can say no to a mint julep?  Its tradition.  I had two, but I had to water them down with soda (Did I mention that I am also not a soda drinker?  There was no winning that battle).  I remember when I was little my mother had all us kids convinced she was having a clandestine affair with some guy named "Tom Collins".  I know, right?  But we never really had alcohol in the house.  Okay, maybe a beer for when Mom had a headache.  When it came to knowledge of bar drinks, we were pretty ignorant.  Today, we have a full bar in the house.       
  The appetizers at the party were absolutely amazing.  Shrimp, baked Brie on apple slices, spinach dip, crab dip, deviled eggs, etc... I was literally grazing.  I was good when it came to dinner.  They served beef, pork, and chicken.  I had had so many appetizers, I wasn't that hungry, so I stuck with Cole slaw, baked beans, and a few shrimp.  It was all very filling.    
  All the ladies wore hats to the party.  My hat was huge.  My mother, like her mother, always loved wearing hats.  I have very few photos of my grandmother as a young woman.  In one, she is wearing a hat.  I guess I get that from them.  Last night, I had a silly idea.  I convinced the hostess to have an additional photo taken..guys in the ladies hats.  It was hilarious.  
  When time came for desserts, I resisted the red velvet cake, the brownies, the chocolate chip cookies, and yes...even my own trifle.  I had a coffee.  Afterwards, we came home, watched Saturday Night Live and chilled out for the evening.  Then, we slept in.  
  So, today is Mother's Day.  Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there.  

   Tonight, the boys are taking me out someplace secret to dinner.  I've been advised the diet doesn't apply.  I keep telling them its not a diet.  Its a lifestyle change.  This morning, they gave me the perfect gift...a gift that they knew I would love.  
   Last year, I gave my mother a gift I knew she would love.  I wrote her a poem.  It wasn't great, but it was from the heart.  Isn't that what all mother's want?  Gifts are always a challenge with my mom.  I have to be creative.  There are no computers in her house.  If I send photos, they have to be hard copy.  She likes to write letters.  One Christmas, I made her note cards with her photos on them (as seen here, old photos from when she was young).  She uses these cards all the time to write me.  And I try to write her back.  Its how we communicate.  Her hearing is poor and she doesn't like to talk on the phone.  Today, we sent edible arrangements...fruit and chocolate.  You really can't lose with that.  I called..just so she'd know...I tried.  My mom is in her 80's now.      
   One day, like dad, she will be gone.  Then, all I will have are the memories of a beautiful, patient little woman who brought me into this world, taught me to be an independent woman who was not afraid to stand up and speak her mind, and by example...showed me how to be a mom.    



               

No comments:

Post a Comment