Wednesday, May 18, 2011

You Are Unique. You Need A Unique Program - I call mine "Can, Will, Did"

   Last night, while I was watching "The Biggest Loser", I decided to do a few push ups.  I did them during commercials so as not to interfere with the show.  In the end, I had done a total of seventy push ups in just the first hour.  And I wasn't even sore.  
   The contestants are down to their last remaining work outs before the finale.  A loyal viewer, who has watched them from the beginning, I find myself feeling proud of each of their individual accomplishments.  Now that the trainers are done, the contestants go home to train.  
   At home, we are all in the same boat when it comes to health and fitness.  If we don't do the work, if we don't make good choices, we cheat ourselves and there is that chance...we fail to accomplishment our goals.  Each of us is unique, and each of us needs a unique program.  Be it work, family, health concerns, or just plain laziness, we all face personal challenges we must overcome to "Be All We Can Be."  
   So, what do I do to maintain my focus when it comes to health and fitness?  I make a list with three distinct areas.  What can I do?  What will I do?  What did I do?  
   First of all, what can I do basically means what am I capable of?  Do I have physical issues that make it difficult or even impossible to do certain things?  What does my work schedule allow?  When is family time?  What are the goals I am aiming at within my own personal limits?  Do I want to be a better wife, mom, and daughter?  Do I want to lose weight, firm my body, tighten and tone?  Do I have food allergies?  I knew I couldn't run anymore.  My knees were shot.  I couldn't even do a deep knee bend.  And I kept re-injuring my back.  I had chronic migraines and what seemed like endless other physical issues.  I wanted to feel better.  I wanted to stop spending so much time at the doctor's office.  I wanted to stop feeling sick and tired all the time.  I wanted my pain to lessen.  I wanted to get off the prescription medications that made me feel loopy.  I wanted to be the woman I knew I could be...stronger, more powerful, confident.  I wanted to lead a richer, fuller life.  I wanted to be the woman my husband fell in love with, but better.  I wanted to be the leader I once was.  I wanted to be a positive role model.  I wanted to inspire others.  
   Second, what will I do?  What am I willing to do to make this happen?  What is my personal commitment to success?  Will I try to eat better, healthier?  Will I try new recipes?  Will I choose wiser when eating out?  Will I push myself, give it my all when it comes to exercise?  I will walk 1000 miles or more this year.  I will increase my exercise routine when it becomes too easy.  I will share.  I will eat smarter.  I will drink more water.  I will not make excuses.  I will tighten and tone.  I will take vitamins.  I will be the weight I was meant to be regardless of my age.  I will be a better wife, a better mom, a better friend, a better daughter.  I will not be antisocial (I have anxiety issues).  I will not try to control everything (again... issues).  I will not sweat the small stuff.  I will smile more, laugh more.  I will breathe (okay, maybe that's a given).  I will be fit and fearless.  I will use the money I save on food to give back to charity, to those less fortunate.      
   And lastly, what did I do?  What are my accomplishments?  With this, I can look back and be proud or I can do what I must to improve, do better...So far, I have walked 521 miles this year.  I am over halfway to my goal.  When it got too easy, I upped my worked to include new routines (push ups, butt lifts, kettle bells).  I walk faster.  I set the incline higher.  I sweat (sorry...I glow).  I glow a lot.  I glow all over the place.  Okay, lets face it.  I sweat.  What's wrong with that?  I have tried new recipes.  I've learned to enjoy new foods like Greek Yogurt, hummus, avocado, mango, etc.  I eat more fruits and vegetables.  I have backed off on foods that don't make me feel good (like beef and pork).  I take my vitamins religiously.  I've researched new ways of becoming fit, learned more about my overall health.  I spend more time with family and friends.  I have begun writing letters back and forth with my mom (she doesn't like to talk on the phone, and she isn't really computer savvy).  As of this morning, I feel great and well, I weigh less than I weighed when I graduated basic training.  I can celebrate.  I am fit and fabulous at 47.      

No comments:

Post a Comment