Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Healthy And Fit Role Models

 
   Remember, as kids, watching "The Fat Albert Show"?  Hey, hey, hey... We all knew Albert was fat, but I don't think we ever considered the fact that in being so, he was unhealthy.  He was just a "fat" kid.  And besides, he was a pretty happy guy despite his massive size.  We watched him and his antics.  We laughed.  Back then, Fat Albert was funny.
  That was a long time ago...before we opened our eyes to what being fat actually meant and what it could lead to.  Today, we are aware of what an epidemic obesity has become.  Its bad enough adults are eating their way into an early grave.  But a large portion of our nation's children are following by example.  Today, we might look twice at Albert and say, "Dude, you need help."  
 http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Statistics_Child_Obesity
   I know what it feels like to be called fat.  When I was little, my eldest brother called me "fat baby".  He meant it to be endearing, but the youngest of my siblings caught on to how it made me feel as I grew up and well...blossomed into a curvaceous young woman.  It hurt.  That's why he said it.  My own brother was bullying me.  He tells people he stopped once I left home, joined the Army, and learned to operate deadly weapons.  : )  I guess karma stepped in, because he now has his own issues with weight control.  Me?  Well, let's just say, he'll never call me fat again.
   I've been seeing a lot lately about the first lady's new push to fight childhood obesity.  www.letsmove.gov  Its all about raising a healthier generation of kids.  She talks about physical activity, food and nutrition, and things like the President's challenge.  Our youngest did the President's challenge back when President Bush was president.  He earned the bronze, silver, and gold medals.  He logged hours while he learned Tai Kwon Do.  In the end, along with medals engraved with the President's signature, he earned his black belt.  Later, once he was older, I saw the same instructors from the Tiger Martial Arts Academy teaching an afternoon class at a school were I "subbed".  The school was helping the kids get healthy by opening up to new ideas.  If all schools did this, let outside resources come in and teach classes, I know parents would love it...not to mention the kids.      
       http://www.letsmove.gov/sites/letsmove.gov/files/Let%27s_Move_Get_Involved_Fact_Sheet.pdf
  Many of us have been blessed with active, healthy kids.  I know its because its a focus in our lives.  We have taken the time to do what we could by shuttling them here and there, sneaking in the healthy foods where we can, challenging our kids to take that extra step, and go that extra mile.  I know I've personally attended tons of karate classes, Tai Kwon Do classes, exhibitions, competitions, baseball games, etc...and I know I will attend more in the future.  I look forward to them.  How many cheering competitions, soccer games, football games, crew matches, etc. have you attended?  We care about keeping our kids healthy and active and we have the resources to do it.  Many don't.  But, if communities join together, we can do this.  We can change the heightened level of childhood obesity in this country.
   This is a battle we have to fight...and we have to win.  Through "let's move" and programs like it, we can help those who don't have the resources.  We can reach out, share ideas, and truly become healthy and fit role models.  There don't have to be Fat Albert's in this world.  We can make them "Fit" Albert's.      
  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment