Wednesday, May 25, 2011

You Can Make It Without Eating It

   This morning, when I got up, I was exhausted.  I have no clue as to why.  Maybe I am pushing too hard.  Maybe I am not eating enough.  Whatever if is, it has me a bit stressed out.  Unfortunately, our young teenager is stressed out also.  School is coming to an end soon.  With the warm weather and all the SOL's, he is a bit anxious.  He wants summer to be here now, you know?  I can't say as I disagree.  I am looking forward to being able to sleep in, even though I am not so sure I will.
   Most likely, I will still wake up when my husband does so we can spend our morning together before he heads off to work.  He doesn't get summer off.  Also, I will want to get an early start on my workout.  If I want to walk outside, I don't want to wait until its too hot.  Besides, I know working out will get more difficult as the day progresses and other tasks plop themselves right in my path.  I swear I am busier now as a retiree than I ever was when I actually had a paying job.  I suppose I could change to an evening workout, but so far, the mornings have worked out better for me.  Its really an individual choice.  Everyone's day is different.  I like mornings.  It starts my day going in the right direction.
   Anyway, I woke up stressing about what I had to get accomplished today.  During my workout, it kind of stayed with me, pushing me along, pushing me through that tired feeling.  Tonight, I have to bring a "tasty treat" to the Court of Honor, a quarterly boy scout function we attend.  I hate to say it, but I literally struggled with the decision as to what I should bring.  My friends would say just buy something, but I know the boys would prefer something homemade or at least as homemade I normally do.  I am not Betty Crocker.  I am the daughter of a lady who still thinks the microwave was heaven sent, remember?  I sometimes take short cuts.
   I thought about keeping it healthy and making a watermelon fruit bowl, a gutted out melon, with melon balled watermelon, cantelope, grapes, blueberries, strawberries.  You get the idea.  Super healthy, but not really fun.  And well, its a lot of work.  
   Then I thought about making one of my decadent, super unhealthy trifles.  The boys would love that, but I ran into one problem...this dessert is supposed to have a sports theme.  Mmmm...topped with cool whip....I tried to imagine a baseball design on top...white cool whip with baseball stitching.  Ugh...again, too much work and it would probably need refrigeration.  I didn't know how long it would have to sit before we got to actually eat.
   I was back to my husband's suggestion, the same thing I made the last time we did this, the decision to make cupcakes.  How to make them?  I decided to just pick up some dark chocolate cake mix.  Hey... antioxidants, right?  I know.  I am stretching it.  Last time, I made red velvet cupcakes and some of the boys steered away from them having never before seen red cake.  I figured I would use food coloring to make the whipped cream cheese frosting green, like the grass of a baseball field.  Then I would add dark green sprinkles to make them seem more lifelike.  I got these cute little baseball mitt cake toppers from the party store.  I'd throw them on top.  I figured what the heck.  I could make them anyway I wanted.  We all know, I wasn't going to eat them.  Why not go all out for the boys, give them a really sweet treat?
   Sure, tomorrow the guilt of dispensing this much sugar on someone's else's kids will most likely haunt me, but you know what?  I think I'll get over it.  I am learning not to sweat the small stuff.  The parents aren't going to come to our home with pitch forks and torches screaming, "I can't believe you brought those super dooper sugary cupcakes...you evil wench!"  At least I don't think they will.  Just in case...I apologize in advance to anyone who has a late night with their son (or husband) because of an unexpected sugar rush.  Next time, I promise, I'll make the fruit bowl.  : )

      

No comments:

Post a Comment