Saturday, April 30, 2011

We Can Do It!


   Our youngest snapped this photo of me in San Francisco (his idea).  When I downloaded the pictures, I smiled.  I know its silly, but what a great blog photo, right?  You know what?  I know its true.  Together, we can...do it... What is "IT"?   We all know what it is... "IT" is getting healthy, and becoming more fit, despite our personal road blocks... whatever they may be.  For each of us, its different.  Be it physical issues, busy schedules, or just constant temptation, we can do it.  We can rise above our obstacles and achieve better health.    
   This past week, I walked a total of 27 miles.  I did it...one step at a time.  The damp air made my arthritis ache (I have a lot of arthritis).  I could have popped a few Motrin and lay on the couch all day whining.  Seriously.  I can make excuses like anyone else.  There was a time not too long ago when I did just that.  Those days seem so distant, like another lifetime.  Sure, I hurt...but its just pain.  I know what my body can take...and you know what yours can take.  Am I right?  
   I am a different woman now.  I manage the pain.  It doesn't manage me.  Last night, I was sitting with some friends.  We were talking about how, when you go to different doctors, they sometimes over medicate.  Some  don't even look at your records.  And they don't always tell you what to stop taking when you begin something new.  They just give you more meds.  Eventually, they pile up.  
   Years ago, I was taking several medications for one issue.  I was sent to a new doctor (Honestly, I don't think I ever saw the same doctor twice).  This time, though, he read my current prescriptions.  He looked at me and said, "This is nuts.  I am going to take you off everything."  I actually panicked (not good when you have a panic disorder).  Breathe... Seriously, I relied on those meds.  But I was a good patient.  I almost always did what my doctors told me.  The only exception was when a doctor (who, by the way, never read my medical record) tried to put me on anti-depressants.  I told him, regardless of what he thought, I knew I wasn't depressed.  I asked him if he had an anti-pissed off pill I could take.  I wish I had that session on tape.  You should have seen the look on his face.  I don't think anyone had ever said "no" to his so called expert medical opinion.  But I knew my body.  And I knew the side effects of the drug he suggested.  
  Anyway, for two months, I took only one medication...the one he prescribed for chronic migraines.  And you know what?  It worked, at least for the migraine issue.  In the end, I took that one preventative medication for seven years.  This year, I asked to be weaned off it.  Today, I take only vitamins.  I know the triggers for my migraines and I avoid them.  Sure, I still have other issues.  Over the years, I've taken some serious medications when I threw my back out.  But they were for a limited time.  I still deal with my knees, my feet, my Fybromyalgia, my anxieties, and my well, my occasional leakage (ugh...don't ask...kegels help). 
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119  C'est la vie.  One step at a time.  
  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not knocking modern medicine.  People lead longer, more fruitful lives every day because of modern medical miracles.  But it doesn't work for everyone.  Doctors only know what you tell them.  They are smart, but they cannot read minds.  They are human, and not infallible.  They are not in your body, feeling your pain.  They can only do so much.  I learned its okay to ask questions, to request alternatives, and yes...to say no.  Don't be afraid to try alternative medicine.  In my experience, it does help alleviate pain and anxiety.  My first step toward feeling better was simple...yoga.  I always go back to it when my back hurts or when I feel stressed.  And prayer?  It doesn't hurt.  
   All in all, I consider myself fortunate.  I am still standing.  I can still walk.  I can still lift weights, do push ups, do sit ups (and yes, butt lifts).  I can still make good choices when it comes to what I put in my body.  I can.  We can.  We can do it!  And trust me when I say...it all counts.  Have a healthy day.  : )       


No comments:

Post a Comment