Thursday, April 7, 2011

All I Really Need To Know



"All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten."~ Robert Fulghum
http://www.peace.ca/kindergarten.htm

  Have you ever read this?  I absolutely love it.  I remember reading it on a poster once.  I can't remember when, but I still go back to it from time to time.  I never went to kindergarten.  In 1968, it was optional.  My parents opted out.  I began school, first grade, the following year.  Our youngest went to preschool as early as we could get him in.  Its a sign of the times.  Parents work.  Kids go to daycare, then preschool, then kindergarten.
   The reason this caught my eye for this particular blog was number one on the list...share everything.  A few years back, I was taking yoga classes.  I began with a DVD class, then when one opened up in the community, I enrolled.  It was my first step to relieving much of the pain I suffer from, especially the back pain.  Yoga was slow and methodical...perfect for someone with injuries such as mine.  Anyway, one night my husband was having a party in our basement.  One of our friends, a party guest, asked what I doing to relieve my pain.  I had missed the previous year's party because of the heavy medication I was on for my back.  Let me just say, its not much fun when everyone is downstairs in your house having a good time, and you are in bed doped up on Vicodin.  She also suffered with chronic pain.  Well, I told her about the yoga classes I was taking.  She didn't feel quite comfortable with attending a class yet, so I gave her the yoga DVD I began with.  http://www.rodneyyeeyogastore.com/120-1276.html
     Later, I began walking with Leslie Sansone fitness DVDs.  I started off with the two-three mile walk.  It came with a one pound waist weight.  http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/  I absolutely love Leslie Sansone's DVDs.  In no time at all, I progressed to her five mile walk.  The DVD  is set up in five separate one mile walks.  You can choose to do some or all, but it totals five miles if you do the entire tape.  I still use it every now and then when the weather is bad and my husband has the treadmill.  The walk DVD with the weight?  I gave it to my neighbor.  I gave someone a Billy Blanks Taebo DVD too, though I honestly cannot remember who..  http://www.billyblanks.com/store/   It was an excellent workout, but too hard on my back and knee injuries.  I knew I would not use it if it hurt to do so.  I don't believe exercise DVDs were meant to gather dust.  Its kind of like buying a treadmill and using it as a clothes rack.  Why?
   The other day, I found these T'ai Chi DVDs on the shelf.  I don't know how they got there, but if anyone is interested in learning T'ai Chi, let me know.  I believe in sharing.  : )  I have only one request.  When you have exercise DVDs that you aren't using because either you've outgrown them or well, they just don't suit you, don't let them gather dust.  Pass them on to a friend that shows an interest.  Yes, for free.  Pretty soon, we'll all be learning new things.  BTW...if anyone knows of a good ab workout DVD, I'm looking to step up what I'm doing now.  Have a happy, healthy day today.  Remember, make good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment