Friday, April 15, 2011

Warrior Pose

   This morning, I still felt a bit of that twinge in my lower back.  It seems to settle at night, then attack me first thing in the early morning.  Once I get around to my workout routine, the pain lessens.  I thought it might be a good day to begin with some stretching.  When I first got out of the Army, I was left with no guidance as to how to improve my issues with well...everything that was wrong with me.  I guess it was just too much.  After several years of going back and forth to the local clinic for physical therapy (three times a week) or some awful pain medication that left me loopy, I thought it might be beneficial to join a ladies gym.  I like ladies' gyms.  They don't judge what you are wearing and they never stare at you when you bend over.  I took yoga classes once a week. I can remember many times when someone would fall over from doing a yoga pose.  The ladies?  No matter what happens, its all good fun.  On occasion, there would be a giggle...then we'd all break into laughter.  We've all been there...none of us was actually an expert.  Well, maybe the instructor... We were just there to feel better, get stronger, and improve our balance both physically and mentally.  Yoga was one of the best decisions I ever made.  Out of the blue, my gym went met with difficult financial times.  They went out of business.  I wondered where my old yoga instructor had gone.  I liked her.  She was easy to follow and she made everyone feel welcome.  When I was there, I felt powerful (even when I struggled with a position).  I used to always tell myself that I was born for it.  Whenever we did the Warrior pose, I felt like the old me...strong and soldier like.  I felt like a petite Amazon, ready to defeat the evil hoards.  When I got down in the chaturanga or push up pose, I remembered a time long ago...when I could max the Army Physical Fitness Test...when I could easily knock out 50 or more push ups and not be sore the next day.  For a while, I even thought about going to classes to teach.  But after realizing all they had to learn, I decided against it.  I do love yoga, but my overall fitness routine is more tough chick.  It incorporates more boot camp exercises.  I like to change it up every now and then.  And we all know, my favorite exercise is walking.  
  So, this morning, I tried the new "yoga works" body slim DVD I won in the package from Exercise TV.  It was 50 minutes long.  All in all, I would recommend it.  It was a good workout...especially the three cardio portions.  I had a hard time keeping up.  One class member does a alternate/easier program for those who are not as flexible.  
   When it was over, I had some time.  I went down and walked five miles on the treadmill.  But I opted to skip the other things in my routine.  Between the yoga tape and the walk, my total workout time was already about two hours.  
   Speaking of time, I need to go now...Laura is making me beautiful again.     http://www.lalanahairdesigners.com/index.html
Have a healthy day today.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment