Saturday, April 2, 2011

Recipe Exchange




    This morning, I'm still suffering from a nasty head cold.  Saturday is one of my official recovery days, but as there are still tasks to be accomplished, I rolled out of bed and hit the shower.  Our son is headed to one of his scout camping trips, so no sleeping in this morning.  My husband put on old clothes.  I asked him why he wasn't showering.  He replied, "I'm going to mow the lawn."  Lovely.  Its a man thing.  I think mowing the lawn and edging relax him.  
    At this point, all I could think was...coffee!!!   I headed downstairs, clicked on the Keurig coffee maker, and took my vitamins.  If you don't have one of the Keurig coffeemakers, I highly recommend them.  My husband is a caffeine drinker.  I drink decaf.  He likes the old fashioned Coffee House coffee or the Caribou.  I pretty much stick to the decaf hazelnut.  I don't know if its the flavor or the scent, but it somehow starts my morning off right.  Weekends are the only time I have more than one cup of coffee.  But I make sure to drink lots of water during the day...at least 8 glasses.  I don't drink soda (unless its as a mixer), but on days like these (when I have a cold), I do have an occasional orange juice mixed with orange Emergen-C.  
    I sat down and opened my email.  After he returns from the camping trip tomorrow, our youngest will have a physical fitness test, part of their merit badge requirement.  The times are tight, and I want to ensure he gets to the location on time.  Otherwise, the counselor will make him start over completely.  And we all know, at this age, parents are dual hatted as taxi cab drivers, toting them here and there for meetings, sports, volunteer opportunities.  Mom's with several young kids at home are, in my opinion, today's superwomen.        
    I also have to ensure he has a handle on his weekend homework.  School always comes first.  I don't micromanage this so much anymore.  Though he carries his father's procrastination gene, he has his mother's organizational skills.  Even at his young age, he is focused.  So, it all evens out.      
    As I checked other messages in my in box, I saw that a neighbor had begun what she hoped would be a recipe exchange.  I like to participate in neighborhood activities.  I like recipe exchanges.  They fall in the same category as Pampered Chef parties and Christmas ornament exchanges.  They take me back to the day when all housewives dressed like Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy), June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver), and Harriet Nelson (Ozzie and Harriet).  I've never actually seen Ozzie and Harriet.  My husband contributed that one.  
   Though I don't consider myself the ordinary housewife, I do have an apron.  I bought it at Kohl's.  Its from the "Food network".  Its pretty, but its not something I wear often.  I rarely wear clothes I am afraid to get messy.  If I was afraid to get messy, I never would have survived the soldier life, right?  
   Packed away, in our linen closet, are old aprons my grandmother wore.  They remind me of her.  She made them herself on her sewing machine.  You might get me to sew on a button, but that's my limit.  The rest of the sewing goes to the little woman at the dry cleaners.         


    Well, to locate a recipe, I had to drag a chair over to reach my recipe books.  Between my husband's and mine (he likes to cook too), there are many.  They are in the highest cabinet.  I wanted to find one that was easy and relatively healthy, since this is a health and fitness blog.  Standing on a chair was probably not a good call for someone taking an antihistamine, but I muddled through.  There are probably thirty books up there.  Note to self, "Stop buying recipe books.  Print future recipes from on line sources".  Sure, I say that after I just bought a Pampered Chef Vegetarian recipe book.  What can I say?  It supported a friend's party and I wanted it.        
    In my neighbor's email, she said to forward to 20 friends.  My first thought was, "Do I even have twenty friends?"   I soon realized that my email address book is pretty outdated.  I have many friends from my Army days, from high school, even a few new blog friends...but not so much over email.  Ugh.  Its just not how we communicate anymore.  Email has become old school.  Nowadays, we facebook and we blog.  Some even twitter.  I've never twittered.  Have you?  Still, I wanted to participate in my own way.  My way is through my blog.  So, here it is...my recipe.  If you read this blog, please comment a recipe of your own.  This could be fun.     

Easy Eggplant Parmesan

Take one ripe eggplant, cut it in 1/4 inch slices
Set it aside
Beat an egg with 1/8 cup lemon juice
Dip the slices of eggplant
Now dip in whole grain or italian bread crumbs approx 1 cup (front and back of eggplant)
Set aside
Saute garlic in oil
Brown slices of eggplant
Move to baking dish large enough to hold all eggplant slices in a single layer
Add can spaghetti sauce (your favorite, whichever that is)
Bake 350 for 30 minutes 
Add lowfat Mozzerella and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
Bake another 10 minutes or so until done
Mmmm.



No comments:

Post a Comment