Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gone Fishing



http://www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/CategoryDisplay?catalogIdentifier=WBwaterfrontBISTRO&identifier=WBFishFilletsSteaks

   My husband and I are fish people.  Not to say we have gills or fins or any like that...we just eat a lot of fish.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm sure he'd love to be a beef and pork person.  Unfortunately, momma isn't cooking beef or pork.  So, we eat fish... a lot.  Yes, on occasion, we have chicken or turkey...but mostly, we try to have fish.  Its really good for you.   : )
   Where I grew up, I can remember tying a raw chicken leg to string and tossing it in an area where we knew the crabs were.  I never caught a crab.  Heaven knows, I wouldn't know what to do with one had I caught it.  But back then, it was all about the idea of it and how much fun it was.  It was kinda like swinging on a tire hung from an old tree or playing kick ball in the yard.  It was just something kids did.  We tied strings to ropes or poles, baited them, and threw them in the water hoping to get a bite.  One summer, my brother actually caught a fish with his big toe after he had slid into the side of a lake.  He had skills, that one.  Me?  I never really caught anything.  I never had the patience for it.
   Back then, I had no idea fish was healthy.  And I didn't really care.  We lived near the ocean and it (like mom's fried chicken) was the food of home.  It was tasty and I ate it every chance I got.  Sometimes, I have trouble understanding kids (and adults) that won't even try fish.  I mean, I understand allergies and all.  But, barring any medical conditions, I am a firm believer in trying everything once.  In Spain, I even tried seafood paella.  I haven't eaten squid since.  Too chewy.  Not for me.  But that doesn't mean I won't try other fishy foods.  When we were at Fort Bragg, I ate those crazy hot raw oysters (rooster's) just to get the free T-shirt.  http://316oysterbar.com/   And I'd do it again.  Its all about the experience (that and some cold water to ease the burn of the jalapeños and hot sauce)  : )
   My husband has a mess of fishing poles, lures, and well...other stuff a true fisherman should have.  He has taken the kids fishing too while camping, though it has been a while since he has shaken the dust off them (the fishing equipment, not the kids).  The boys have more patience than I do with fishing.  It seems the fish don't know they are meant to be hooked.  Go figure.  Our youngest seems to have inherited some skills, though I don't believe he has actually caught anything with his feet.  Maybe he takes after his Dad and not his Uncle.  Anyway, I can't wait around for them to get up early in the morning and go fishing.  That may never happen.  For some reason, teenagers don't really like to get up early in the morning.  And well, I don't think they'll be catching any shrimp or salmon...my personal favorites.
    So, I do the next best thing.  I shop.  Often, we get the bulk individually wrapped frozen fish from Costco.  That's where the Tilapia comes from.  My husband absolutely loves to make his blackened Tilapia.  I absolutely love to eat it.  We bought tuna steak too, but its become somewhat of a problem to make.  We didn't really read the package.  The tuna steak we bought was meant for sushi.  I like sushi.  He doesn't.
    For Shrimp, I head to Shopper's.  Its always the same friendly outgoing man behind the counter.  He makes the best steamed spiced shrimp.  And he always serves it with a smile just for me.  Customer service is everything to me. It can make my day.  Unfortunately, if its bad, it can also drive me to another store entirely.
   The take home seafood at Wegman's is beautifully displayed.  Heck, no need to take it home.  We go there just to have lunch at the seafood bar.  Its so delicious, it counts as a date (my idea).  Yes, its that good.
   Well, the other day, I popped into Safeway.  I was next door at the Petco picking up something for the cat or the fish (I can't remember).  If I have time, I like to see what's new...so I can pass it on.
   In the back of the store, in the fresh fish area, they have these packets of seafood, from "Waterfront Bistro".  I had heard something on television that mentioned "cod" and as my dad used to say, "I had a hankering' for it."  I picked up a Santa Fe Style Salmon packet too.  I didn't expect much.  I like to see through the package...know what I'm buying.  These packages weren't see though.  But I figured I'd try them anyway.  They were only about $7 a package (two in a package).  Our youngest doesn't like seafood, so it worked out great.  One for me...one for my husband.  You know what?  They were really good.  No excuses.  We can eat seafood anytime we like.  If we can't get the fresh stuff, we'll just go fishing at Safeway.  

Note:  I picked up a new weight the other day to add to the home gym.  Its not bad.  In hindsight, I think I should have gone a bit heavier...maybe 10lbs.  Our youngest can use this one for now.  We learn by doing... Have a healthy day.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment