Monday, April 11, 2011

Old Pain Versus New Attitude

Changed the photo- This was more Easter-y
   I've spent a lot of my life sitting in doctor's office's waiting for them to tell me what I already knew.  I had issues with pain.  Be they from my spinal issues, from Fybromyalgia, or just from regular over use, I know from experience that every now and then I will be faced with pain.  I mean, who isn't, right?  
   Its been a pretty good year, so far.  And I am not one to complain, but yesterday, I felt that familiar twinge in the lower left side of my back just above my butt.  It radiated around my lower back and down through my leg.  Crap.  Been here before.  I knew sitting would hurt.  I knew standing would hurt.  I knew laying down would hurt.  So, when my husband finished his work, I asked if I could go with him on an errand.  I wanted to walk.  Walking is really the only thing that feels better when I get these pains...well, other than vegging out on a ice pack with some ibuprofen.  So, I did.  I went along.  We walked around the mall and then took a side trip to Target.  My pain even lessened a bit...for a while, that is.  
   Then, I went to bed.  I couldn't lay comfortably on my left side.  Eventually, I did get to sleep, but it wasn't as restful as it should have been.  When the clock sounded in the morning, I turned and lifted slightly to shut it off.  Ouch!!!  Not good.  Overnight, my pain had worsened.  I'll admit it.  I was worried.  The last thing I wanted to do was spend another morning in a doctor's office...waiting for him/her to tell me what I already knew.  I gently rose from the bed.  I was determined to follow my normal routine.  I brushed my teeth and put on my work out gear.  My husband watched.  He said nothing.  He knows me.  Old Pain?  Meet new attitude.  "Let's get ready to rumble!"  
   I came down the stairs ever so slowly, cautious not to release my grip from the railing.  Yes, it was excruciating, but I would not let it win this battle.  I took my vitamins, fed the cat, turned on the coffee maker, and well...did everything I normally do to begin our day.  When I opened the front door, I saw that it was a beautiful morning.  I thought how nice it would be to walk outside.  But then, I thought how much smarter it would be to walk the treadmill...just in case.  
   I know what you are thinking.  "You are still going to exercise?"  That's right.  I was still going to work out...even if it took me all day to finish.  That's what happens when old pain meets new attitude.  
   I slowly climbed back upstairs and popped my head into our son's room.  "Five minutes is up. Time to rise and shine.  Its a good day for shorts."  Then, I descended the stairs for the second time.  It was still challenging, but with a little patience, I made it.  I made the coffee and attempted to sit down for the news.  Sitting was not a good idea.  In between sips of coffee, I went over to the floor and did some yoga stretches.  Yoga stretches are always good for these sort of pains, especially the cobra pose.  When everyone had headed out to work and school, I put on my shape ups, and went down to the basement gym.  I feared it be a short workout today.  But I knew I would give it my all.  I was on a mission, after all.
When I stepped on the treadmill, I initially set it for my normal pace.  But soon, I knew I would have to slow it down.  At first, everything seemed to hurt.  My back, my butt, even my legs...I turned up the volume on the television hoping to distract, well...me.  I needed to focus on something other than the pain I was feeling.  It helped.  It took longer than usual, but in the end I made it to five miles.  I proceeded to the other exercises in my work out routine.  The worst was probably the sit ups.  Normally, I whip them out with no problem.  Today, each one took careful movement.  I had no issues with the arm exercises at all.  That was nice.  Though, standing for an extended period was not comfortable at all.  I had to remove my shoes.  They made me teeter in place.  As I ascended the stairs from the basement, I felt better than when I had descended them earlier.  And the hot shower felt wonderful.  I took some ibuprofen with my morning smoothie and lay on a ice pack.  My mission is complete.  I'll take it easy today.  In the battle between old pain and new attitude, the new attitude won.  You know what?  It is going to be a beautiful day.  

- Later note to self... Make sure the ice pack is securely closed when you lay on it.  Ugh.  : }       
  

No comments:

Post a Comment