Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day

   This morning, we woke early, then got on the road.  We visited another Civil War General (this time no parking issues), grabbed a quick bite to eat, and bought some postcards.  I consider myself fortunate to have found yogurt.  Though not my usual Chobani, it was as good as I could get and that was fine.  When you are out and about, you somehow become less picky about brand names.  When I got hungry later on, I had one of my protein bars and an apple.  The apple...I had to share.  For some reason, everyone was craving fresh fruit.  I guess I should have bought three apples.  We passed a fruit stand, but we didn't stop.  Instead, we finished off some trail mix (one without the M and M's) before we reached our destination.  It was a beautiful sunny day. 
   When we first arrived, there was a chill in the air, but nothing I needed to bundle up for.  The scenery is different here but still amazing in its own way.  I was glad to find that the beds were not like the previous place we stayed.  In the last place, the beds were like rocks.  Every morning, I woke in agony (so did my husband).  All the walking in the world cannot help if the bed is uncomfortable.  That combined with the knee pain I had from sitting in the car for too long made for a very long car drive.  In reality, it wasn't that long.  The pain just made it seem longer.  I think this is the first time this week that I had to take Motrin. 
   So here we are in another place, but still... I can honestly say I feel closer to God here.  There are no big city influences, no shopping malls, no crowds, no sprawl of suburbia.  It is very quiet and peaceful...earthy.  With little time to lose, I threw on a sweater, tossed my rain jacket in the car, and we went exploring.  Over the next few hours, it rained, and even snowed.  We saw waterfalls, beautiful mountains, babbling brooks, and even a few deer.  My hair is all a frizz now, but I don't really mind.  Along with our youngest, I am here with my husband of sixteen years.  Today is our wedding anniversary...Earth Day.  How appropriate that we should spend it here so close to nature and all its glory.  Today, as a family, we again walked five miles.  If you ask me, walking with someone you love is the best way to log miles.  We had a car picnic of cheese, whole wheat crackers, hummus, and bottled water. 
   The boys are out ice skating now.  I would have gone, but they both thought this was the best opportunity to get my blog in.  Yes, I ice skate.  I'm pretty good too.  Not as good as I am at roller skating, but still...pretty good.  When they return, we will have a nice dinner (probably fish), then going swimming in the heated pool.  I'm also thinking jacuzzi.  : )
   By the way...I made really good choices today.  Then again, I haven't come across any of that mountain berry pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment