Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Largest Organ In The Human Body


   I can remember, as a little girl, watching my mother putting on her lotion.  She did it every day, without fail.  It was the same lotion her mother, my Grandmother used (they were both very committed to having good skin).  They used Oil of Olay.  My Mother in Law used the same brand.  It was a ladies lotion.  It was one of those products that never let you down.  It was the same with my dad.  He went through bottles of his old standby, Keri lotion.  My husband also likes Keri, so we always keep it in the house.  It doesn't smell like a girl.
   I don't know if you've ever noticed, but there seem to be thousands of products out there on the market for your skin.  And, though it might be my imagination, the numbers grow everyday.  Some for women, some for men...It can be quite overwhelming to even the most savvy shopper.  Of course, we are guided by a few of our favorite celebrity spokespeople.  They are undoubtedly the most beautiful, ageless women I have ever seen.  But they aren't me.  Everyone is unique in what they need.  I doubt any of those celebrity spokeswomen has ever been in the military.  So maybe, I'm picky.  The way I see it, we all have to be very selective in choosing what will protect the largest organ of our body.  
   I haven't exactly been kind to my skin over the years.  I've done my share of tanning in both real and artificial light since I was quite young.  Prone to minor acne, I thought tanning would dry out my oily skin.  It did, but in hindsight, I wish I had known a better way to a clearer complexion.  Sometimes, training in the field, I'd go for days without good cleansing.  I rarely used lotion.  I covered my skin in camouflage paint.  My face has probably even been sandblasted a few times during my months in desert conflicts.  I've tanned whenever and wherever I could..even during two wars...in primarily Muslim countries.  I know.  I know.  We all did it.  Male and female alike.  We were careful not to cause further aggression in doing so.   
   Speaking of tanning, I've had my share of bad experiences.  I've burned and peeled over and over.  One time, I actually burned my breasts so badly in a tanning bed (yes, going topless), I couldn't wear a bra for days.  Not a good thing, when you are expected to do physical training alongside your male counterparts.  I literally had to put gauze bandages over them so I could heal.  It wasn't pretty, but it was pretty painful.    
   A few years ago, I noticed large brown freckles appearing on my forearms in the summer months whenever I spent too much time outside.  Yes, I use sunscreen.  But obviously, not enough.  Maybe the sun has just gotten stronger since my earlier days.  Maybe it has something to do with that ozone layer depleting.  I don't know.  Science was never my best subject.  All I know is, I have to be careful.  I have made some bad choices, but there is no better time than the present for better ones, right?  I don't want to get skin cancer.  I know how awful it is.  My brother got it on a trip to Disneyworld.  He still bares the scars.  Believe me, I know I have been fortunate.      
   When we moved to Arizona, my skin became drier than its ever been.  Its difficult to avoid it, really.  There is practically no humidity.  Well, one day, we were walking around a local craft fair.  Many use craft fairs to promote new products.  There was a booth for a product I'd never seen before.  The product was called "Southwest Sunshine".  http://www.southwestsunshineherbal.com/     They offered a deal, so I decided to give it a try.  I like trying new things.  I figured...what the heck.  They said it had been around a while, but it was new to me.  I decided I'd buy the products they offered in the deal...then go back to whatever was in the bathroom cabinet (probably Keri and Oil of Olay).  I never did.  I was impressed with the products, especially the "Renew". (I still order them to this day).  I just put some on the freckles/spots on my arms.  Before long, they completely went away.  My arms were clear.  I was sold.  I haven't seen the brand in the stores yet, but let me tell you...its worth ordering on line.  Natural, herbal, Southwest Sunshine's products are exactly what they claim to be...a tool for healing.  Women, men, and children can use them.  There are no perfumes or dyes.  Its perfect for people with allergies or sensitive skin.  Try the gel.  It heals burns, sores, acne, etc.  Check out the video on the link.  
    I wish my father had had this available all those days he spent scratching and scratching from the diabetes.  The Keri was good...This is so much better.  Maybe, I've been forgiven for all the anguish I put my skin through over the years.  It sure feels like it.   : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment