Monday, April 4, 2011

Against The Wind


   We were able to sleep in this morning.  My husband has time off and our son has no school today (teacher work day for compiling grades for 3rd quarter's report cards).  By 0730hrs, my husband and I were discussing taking a walk outside together.  It was supposed to be a nice day.  So, hoping to spend some quality time together, we donned our workout clothes and headed downstairs for coffee.  The news claimed temperatures were in the high 50's.  When I opened the front door, all I felt was the cold chill of morning air.  Feeling like a deflated balloon, I told my husband I was going to walk the treadmill.  
    I had just completed my second mile on the treadmill, when I changed my mind.  Sometimes, I think they've run out of positive things to talk about on my "Today Show".  I wasn't much interested in Kate's trip to Australia with her eight kids.  Nothing against her or Australia.  I'd love to go there myself someday.  But, when they use my valuable time to promote that kind of stuff, well...its not worth watching.  I'd rather hear about Joy's fit club or watch them do a makeover of one of their audience members.  You know what I mean?  Some reality shows are just a waste of time and brain matter.  I'm sure you could name a few.
   So, I made the decision to turn off the television.  I walked back upstairs and found my husband on his computer.  "Come on, let's go walk", I said.  "I thought you wanted to walk inside today."  "Changed my mind".  (It is a woman's prerogative, after all)  Nothing else was said.  He put down his computer, and put his sneakers on.  I advised our youngest of the situation...where we were going...how long we'd be gone.  Then, we hit the pavement walking.  
   The walk we do is in our neighborhood.  I wish it were prettier, more scenic, but we do with what we have at present.  Someday, we'll walk in a place that reminds me of an Albert Bierstadt painting.  That's on my bucket list.  Hey, a girl can dream.  
    Unfortunately, our current home sits in the center of suburbia on steroids.  Over the years we have lived here, the trees have diminished and new homes have popped up everywhere.  I watch as the native animals...the deer, the foxes, the rabbits, etc escape to any small patch of wooded haven they can find.  It just breaks my heart.  There isn't much left of their peaceful habitat.  As a human, I feel guilty for being part of it.
    Our walking course takes us down to a major road and back again.  Walking with my husband is always challenging.  He has no knee issues, and his stride is longer than mine.  Whether he was slowing pace for me or not, I don't know.  I do know that I kept up.  On the way to our turn around point, the wind was against us.  He had no problem.  I felt like it would pick me up and take me away.  It was chilly, but not unbearable.  He talked most of the way, but I focused on my walking.  Unlike the treadmill, I had to deal with occasional cracks in the pavement, curbs, and hills.  I don't usually do inclines on the treadmill.  It aggravates the injury to the knees and back.  I was glad I had decided to wear my long thicker pants to cut down on the wind.  
    On the way, we saw a blue heron fly across the street.  Nature...It was beautiful.  Before then, I hadn't even noticed that the birds were chirping.  Then again, perhaps the wind was drowning them out.  We reached the main road, our turn around point, and I kicked the marker...the guard rail.  My husband laughs every time I do that.  He sees it as an obsessive compulsive disorder thing.  There are two reasons I do it.  It marks that I have made it at least half way and acts like a lucky charm for my return trip.  I know what you are thinking, but the way I see it, with my medical issues, I need all the luck I can get.  (And yes, it bugs me that I didn't hit 350 today...I like even numbers).  
    On the return, my knee gave out three times.  Not bad.  I've had worse days, believe me.  The wind was no longer against us.  And every now and then, it even gently pushed us along our path (well, it pushed me).  Without the wind against us, we felt warmer.  I might even have sweat a little.   When we approached the house, my husband cut across the lawn to the front door.  I walked around to the driveway.  The grass presents that problem I have with uneven surfaces.  I had completed no less than six miles today total.  Nice.     
    We came in.  I headed down to complete my workout.  I still had the weights, the push ups, the sit ups, and the butt lifts to do.  It was a long one today, and it was challenging going against the wind, but in the end I felt like I had earned that yummy whey protein fruit smoothie...and the shower that followed.  Not bad for a Monday.  : )
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment