Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Rat, The Challenge, and The Air Conditioning


   I guess you could say its been one of those days.  I decided to get out the house this morning.  On normal days, I would leave the neighborhood and walk left.  The path is wide and the traffic is not heavy.  Today, on a whim, I walked a new way.  I wanted an adventure.  I like adventures.  I walked right.  I started walking with no problems.  It was warm, but I enjoyed the sunshine.  After months on the treadmill watching the television, I felt free.  I listened to my iPod.  I said hello to fellow walkers.  I passed a couple of county maintenance guys on rider mowers and an old man walking his dog.  
   All of a sudden, my stride was broken.  There was a rat in my path.  I jumped.  I didn't know whether to scream or pee my pants.  I did neither.  Instead, I kept walking.  I detoured around the rat.  I focused on the Lady Gaga song that was playing.  I took deep breaths.  As I distanced myself, I thought...that was weird.  Perhaps, he was just out getting some exercise.  I pictured a cartoon rat lifting weights.  It made me smile.  On the way back, I walked on the other side of the street.  
   As I continued down the sidewalk, I saw runners, children crossing the street led by their safety patrol, and parents.  By the time I got home (I wore the pedometer), I had walked a total of six miles.   
   But my exercise routine had just begun.  I still had all that other stuff to do.  I tried doing sit ups, but unfortunately I have another one of those "she does too many sit ups" rashes on my butt.  I would do them later upstairs on the bed.  I did my weights and my butt lifts.  Then, all I had was push ups to do.  Yesterday, Jillian Michaels posted a challenge on her Facebook page.  Do 100 push ups every day this week.  Yesterday, I had done 20 in the morning, but by the time I saw her challenge, it was late afternoon.  I decided to give it a try.  It all counts, right?  I made it interesting by doing 10 in different rooms of our house until I hit the challenge number.  My arms were sore then.  They are more sore today.  Its okay.  Its a good kind of sore.  
    You are probably wondering...why the air conditioning?  Well, yesterday the air conditioning stopped working.  It got so hot in this house, the butter melted.  Seriously...  And I don't even want to look at my dish of sugar free chocolates.  I turned fans on and opened doors with screens, but it was still like an oven (reminds me of Somalia actually)...just more humid.  My husband called someone today to come out and fix it, but they can't come until Thursday.  Ugh.... Makes me miss Arizona even more.  There, its a dry heat.  : )  So, as I sit here writing this blog, I am absolutely drenched.  I may have to go back outside just to cool off.  I think its time for some water with crushed ice.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment