Saturday, April 9, 2011

An Evening With Friends


   I had been fighting a cold for the last couple of weeks, but last night, I was feeling better.  My husband asked if I wanted to try to link up with friends.  In the old days, I would whine.  Couldn't we just stay home, get take out, and watch a movie on demand?  That was the old me.  The new me wants to celebrate life...so I said yes, of course...Let's do it.    
   Several months ago, we found a place just for that purpose.  Its called "Winestyles" in Montclair.  And Friday nights are an opportunity to enjoy one of their wine-tasting events.  When we first walked in, around 1830hrs (6:30 pm), it was already bustling with patrons, each with their glass at the ready.  Some were sitting, enjoying easy conversation with family, friends and work colleagues.  We immediately saw a friend we had come there to meet.  There are always hugs.  We are huggers.  The gentlemen went over and got our glasses for the tasting.  We are members.  I am not much of a drinker, but I do like to sample new wines for our ever growing collection.  Unlike my female friends, I stick to the reds.  Strangely, I never used to drink red wines.
   My first experience with wine was back in Germany.  I was young then.  I stuck to the sweeter white Spatlese.  But, just like wine, I have aged.  And, I guess you could say, my palate has matured.  I like the finer whites, but I lean towards the darker, richer wines now.
   One this particular night, there were no tables available, no seats.   As my mom says, "no rest for the wicked."  Perhaps, we should have come earlier to snag our favorite area...the comfy couch by the window.  The place was pretty crowded.  It always is...on Friday nights.  Surprisingly, the crowds here do not seem to bother me.  You see, coming to  "Winestyles" has become our hangout of sorts, a warm and welcoming place to relax and catch up on what has happened in our lives since our last meeting.
   Before long, all of our friends had arrived (at least the ones who weren't still working or traveling).  The topics of conversation ranged from the possible government shut down to recent vacation adventures.  We looked again for a table, but to be honest, we all knew it wasn't going to happen.  Luckily, someone had the foresight to make dinner reservations, so we moved our little group over to the restaurant next door.  http://giorgiosfamilyrestaurant.com/
   Long ago, before "Winestyles" had been added, we would frequent "Giorgio's".  In you are ever in the area, I thoroughly recommend it.  The food is exceptional.  Make sure you order the Saganaki, flaming cheese.  There are always lots of oohs and aahs when the cheese is lit.  Newcomers are particularly fun to watch when this occurs.  And yes, I do eat cheese.  I know, on "The Biggest Loser", they always steer away from cheese (and alcohol for that matter).  But you know what, in moderation, cheese is fine.  I'm not saying you should order a giant pizza and eat it all by yourself, but well...making better choices doesn't mean denying yourself completely.  Have some wine.  Have a little cheese.  And smile.  Life is short.  Just don't over do it...
   I love Giorgio's because they always have a nice selection of fish.  I have not eaten beef or pork in quite a while.  Let me just say, my body is better for the change.  I do eat fish and poultry.  And, when I can, I always choose colorful vegetables in lieu of potatoes, rice, etc...  I ordered what I like to call "a naked salad"...AKA no dressing.  On the specials menu, I found Red Snapper.  I had maybe two bits of the naughty white rice that came with it.  The Snapper was so good, I had no need for a filler food like rice (make sure you drink water to fill you).  I wanted to focus my taste buds on that snapper.  My husband, and many others in our group, had to take food home.  They just couldn't finish.  When the waiter came around asking if we wanted dessert or coffee, we just smiled and said no thank you.  We were all filled to the brim, but in a good way.  We were ready to face the world again...well, after the weekend...

http://www.winestyles.net/montclair

No comments:

Post a Comment