Friday, April 8, 2011

Sometimes you just have to


   Yesterday, I had had about enough with my ugly feet.  My husband loves to tease me about my "Fred Flintstone" toes, but that wasn't it.  My feet were tired and my toes were blistered.  Sure, I do my best to pamper them, but let's face it....I've walked nearly 400 miles since the first of the year.  These feet have worked very hard.  Maybe it was time for a treat.  Sometimes, you just have to.   
   So, after my workout and shower, I headed over to a nearby spa where they do manicures and pedicures.  I've been there before.  They do good work.  When the service is good, I become a regular customer.  I love the fact that you don't need an appointment.  I rarely know ahead of time that I will get the urge for a pedicure.  Most of the time, I do my own home pedicures with a kit I picked up at Target (or was it Avon?).  
   When I walked in, someone came up to inquire what I needed done.  I asked if I could get a pedicure.  They said to sign in and select a color.  The wall had literally hundreds of polishes to choose from.  How could I decide?  I turned around to see the technician waiting.  I started to feel the pressure.  I thought to myself, I wear jeans a lot...maybe I should select something that goes with jeans.  Okay, what goes with jeans?  That just about covered all the colors.  Okay, the last time I was there, I had them done in blue, with little red and white shooting stars...for the fourth of July.  Had it really been that long?  UGH...
Before that, it was red polish, with little white cherry blossoms.  Its cherry blossom time again.  I wondered...should I get cherry blossoms again?  I think the technician was tapping his foot by now thinking, "Woman, make a decision."  Too many choices.  I finally decided on a pretty blue.  Its fun and youthful.  At 47, I need all the youthful I can get in my life.  Besides, it makes me smile.  It makes my feet happy.  And don't we all want happy feet?  
    I mentioned the technician was male.  Three of the four technicians were male.  It seemed strange to me, but who cares?  They do a good job.  That's all that matters to me.  He instructed me to dip my feet in the warm bubbling water.  I opted not to have the chair massager on.  I'm sure its wonderful for some, but it hurts my back.  I lay back in the chair as he worked.  To be honest, I could've taken a nap.  It was just that relaxing.  But then, all of a sudden, I jumped.  He looks at me, concerned, and says, "I hurt you?" His English wasn't the best and it was difficult to hear over the bubbling foot bath.  I laughed and said, "No, but you are seriously tickling me".  He smiled.  Secretly, I was praying, "please God, don't let me pee my britches".  That happens sometimes.  I'm sure many of you have been there...right?  
    Well, once he had scrubbed, clipped, treated, and polished, he asked if I wanted a manicure.  I thought, why not?  So I did.  Afterwards, I spent a little time under the dryer table.  Then I left my little spa day feeling less like a tired exercise fanatic, and more like a lady... Now I was ready for the next hundred miles.  One step at a time...but with pretty fancy phalanges.  : ) 
      

  

No comments:

Post a Comment