Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Refuse To Miss Any More Of Life

   
    Last night, we attended a gathering to celebrate a good friend's retirement from military service.  I had been under the weather for days.  Though we had RSVP'd yes that we would be there, my husband made the comment, "I hope we can go."  I just blew my nose and replied, "Of course we are going.  Why wouldn't we go?"  He was concerned that between my head cold and the rainy miserable weather, I would not feel up to going.  Me?  I didn't give it a second thought.  We were going...and we did.
    The party was held at a nearby winery.  http://www.potomacpointwinery.com/  It was our first time there.  If you appreciate wine, and haven't been there, I thoroughly recommend it.  It is absolutely beautiful.  I had only one glass, but thats only because of the head cold.  At first, I was worried I might not taste the wine, but that didn't seem to be an issue.  I guess my cold is finally nearing the recovery stages.
    We all chatted a bit.  It was very crowded and I was thrilled when they announced we should choose our seats.  We watched a video presentation, snapshots of our friend's military career.  It was much like the one they showed at my husband's retirement dinner.  We never expected a sit down dinner, but it was delicious.  Coincidentally, they served Eggplant Parmesan.  Remember?  I blogged an Eggplant Parmesan recipe yesterday.
    I love going to these retirement celebrations.  They are life's little big events.  Unfortunately, my own retirement was a sad occasion.  I was stationed at Fort Huachuca at the time.  My office had a small lunchtime gathering for me at my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant, the Peacock.  Perhaps twenty-five to thirty folks came.  I remember I had brought two small framed photos to sit at the table with me, my husband who was deployed, and my father who had died earlier that same year.  Our son was in preschool.  No family members attended.  They were either in Virginia or Massachusetts, thousands of miles away.  It was nice to have my office mates there, but still, I felt very alone.  In my heart, there was no reason for this particular retirement to be celebrated.  I was asked if I wanted to return for the end of month ceremony on the parade field.  I said no.  Standing for more than 20 minutes was too painful (my back), and besides, I knew no one would be able to be there from my family.  There was no point putting my uniform back on.
   Family members who come to these official ceremonies are so enthralled by the pomp and circumstance.  To us old soldiers, who have spent our lives rehearsing and standing them, they are old hat.  If someone makes a mistake, you just have to suck it up and drive on.  Those active duty, active duty spouse, and civilian employees in the audience are just sitting there wondering how long the speeches will be, praying that they will stand, sit, and salute at the correct time as per FM 22-5, the Army's drill and ceremonies manual.  A good speech is short, to the point, thoughtfully presented, and from the heart.  In hindsight, I know I would have stood the ceremony, had my relatives from back east attended.  Perhaps they would have, had I asked.  I wasn't very proud of retiring disabled.
   Anyway, thats all history now.  I could definitely tell some stories about ceremonies I attended over the years.  From the time when I was an enlisted soldier and a Private locked his knees, passed out, and nearly stabbed me with his fixed bayonet to the time when I, as the Battalion Adjutant/S-1 personnel officer (a Captain) serving as the ceremony narrator miss-pronounced Dah-LON-aga, Georgia as Dah-lon-A-ga.  Again, sometimes you just have to suck it up, drive on, and hopefully, learn from your mistakes.
   I read this to my husband...he says, "So what does all this have to do with health and fitness?"   So, now I will get to the point.  This morning, when I woke up, I was still sick.  The difference between the old me being sick and the new me being sick is...now that I am more healthy and fit, I know, regardless of my head cold, I don't have to miss out on life's little celebrations.  I feel as if I am truly celebrating life again.  On days when I feel like crawling back into our sleep number bed, I don't.  My head may feel less than perfect, but my body isn't really all that bad.  I am stronger.  And because of that, I am now a more active participant in my own life.  As the poster on one of my favorite shows (The Biggest Loser) states, "Its your life.  What are you going to do with it?"
   In a couple of hours, our son returns from his scout camping trip.  Shortly afterward, he has to do a fitness test.  His mom won't say, "Honey, could you take him?"  No...despite a stupid head cold, she will be there (most likely bundled up with her thermos of warm fluids handy) cheering him on.  With a renewed attitude, and some healthier life choices, she can now be there, celebrating life's little big events.        

No comments:

Post a Comment