Monday, April 25, 2011

I Am Woman. Watch Me Mow.

  When we came home from our week away, we were all exhausted.  We had taken a red eye flight.  We left San Fransisco at 10:30pm Pacific time and arrived in Washington Dulles Airport around 6:30am Eastern Standard Time.  We gained three hours, but our bodies lost out on much needed rest.  After a quick stop at the airport Starbucks for a decaf, hazelnut, soy latte, we dragged ourselves to the luggage check area.  I stopped for a potty break.  When I met up with the boys, they were standing at the machine where you pay for parking.  They already had the luggage.  Not bad for a packed to capacity night flight.
   Well, we prefer to stay up all day hoping we can sleep the next night.  You know that numb feeling you get when you've been up all night?  Everything on Easter Sunday was a foggy haze.  We emptied suitcases.  I did about six loads of laundry.  Our youngest went straight to the homework he still had to complete.  Once he was done, I asked him if he needed a nap.  He said no.  So I recommended, instead of just watching television and eating Peeps (it was Easter after all), he should perhaps do a little work on his first aid merit badge so he wouldn't have to do it all at the last minute.  He asked me if I would go get his books.  "You want to go all the way back upstairs and get your books to work on your merit badge?"  "Well, Mom...you are still logging miles on your pedometer right?"  I just shook my head.  He was right.  And stairs are always a good idea.  In the back of my mind, I was thinking how much I would love to raid those peeps from his basket.  : )
   Instead, I coaxed my husband into walking to the grocery store.  We had nothing in the house really, especially for dinner.  You have to cook on Easter Sunday, right?   I know he wanted a ham, but I suggested we make a turkey.  He agreed, but we had to have all the fixings...green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, etc.  I even made a pumpkin pie.  He made stuffing, but he was the only one who ate it.
   My husband knew the lawn needed mowing, but deep down he truly wanted to procrastinate.  We watched "Easy A" and some of "Whip It", before he decided it couldn't wait any longer.  A storm was coming.  He suited up in his "mow the lawn" comfy clothes.  I asked if he needed help.  Our son usually helps, but he was actively involved in his scout work.  I didn't want to disturb him.  "No, I can do it.  It would be nice if you brought me out some cold water in about fifteen minutes."  I must admit, though I know he was just being a gentlemen, I felt a bit like he was treating me like I was sick, lame, or even lazy.  I can mow the lawn.  I did it for money when I was a kid.  Besides, I am a fitness warrior.  Its just grass.  Its not just a man thing.  Heck, the lawn mower does all the work.  You just push, right?
   I came out in fifteen minutes as requested and brought him his water.  He smiled, said thank you, then followed with, "This is great, but could I get a beer?"  Right.  Now, I was a beer wench.
   Well, enough of that.  I got his beer, but before I came out, I put my shoes on.  I asked him again if I could help.  He said sure, but he wanted to finish the front yard first.  I later found out why.  It seems my lines are crooked.  I had no idea mowing the lawn was such an skilled endeavor.  I guess I am too artistic.  My lines are wavy and resemble the ocean tide.  Pretty, but unacceptable.  He snickered and told me I was doing great.  Then, I was relegated to the less visible back yard.
   So, we began our lawn mowing adventure.  I could call it a task, but adventure is a more positive word.  I mowed.  He bagged the grass so I wouldn't have to bend over and strain my back (unfortunately always an issue).  My back wasn't the only issue.  Keep in mind, we were both really exhausted.  The sun beat down on us, but we completed the mission just in time.  There was a storm...thunder, lightning, wind, and rain.  It continued for hours...even after we went to bed.  Between that and the big turkey dinner, we all slept great.
   This morning, when my husband went to work and our son to school, I went back to my normal fitness routine.  I walked five miles, did weight repetitions, did push ups, sit ups , and yes...butt lifts.  Afterward, I felt accomplished...back on track.  Tomorrow, I hope to walk outside and barring any unforeseen allergy symptoms, enjoy this beautiful sunshine...and yes, all this fresh mowed grass.      

No comments:

Post a Comment