Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Day With The Giants

   This morning we got up and headed over to breakfast.  It was a buffet, so they pretty much offered anything anyone would want.  I opted for yogurt, granola, and oatmeal.  It may not sound like much, but it was filling.  We tried to hang out with a Civil War General, but were turned away.  We were told no parking was available.  Not to be beaten in our quest for historical enlightenment.  We retreated, only to embark upon the nearest shuttle bus and return.  
   There we were...among the grandest of residents in this forest of giants.  So, what did we do?  Well, we did what everyone else was doing...we took pictures.  I was chatting with one of the other wandering adventurers.  As I slipped on the ice and snow, I told her about how I had only brought my sketchers shape ups on this journey.  She laughed.  Then she told me her husband had only brought "crocs".  On the way down the hill, I ran into her husband.  I smiled and said hello.  Then, I laughed all the way back to the parking lot.  I wasn't the only idiot on this mountain.  : )
   Once back in the car, we decided to venture down a long winding road to places unknown.  We spent the afternoon traveling from 7000 ft down to 2000 ft.  We found a picturesque little town, stopped and had dessert.  I know..I was naughty but it was mountain berry pie made from locally picked berries.  And we did walk five miles today.  No regrets.  I'll work a little harder and eat a little better next week.  On the way back home, we stopped at the river rapids and climbed the rocks.  The view was extraordinary.  And, to be honest, it was like being kids again.  
   For dinner, I was good.  I had trout...no dessert...and a glass of cabernet.  Tomorrow...a new adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment