Friday, April 29, 2011

I Watched The Royal Kiss From My Treadmill

Our wedding day - 22 April 1995
  From our home in "Prince William" County (a castle to us), we turned on the telly around 6 am and watched what was left of the royal wedding.  No, we didn't wear hats, and we didn't serve scones.  I do love fresh scones.  How many calories are in a scone anyway?
  We dressed, got ready for the day, turned everything off, woke our son, and wondered downstairs (our routine).  "The Today Show" was on.  It would be a "royal" day today.  I must admit, I love all the pomp and circumstance.  I remember watching Diana and Charles wed the summer after I graduated high school.   Even then, I remember thinking that I wouldn't have gone for the poofy gown.  Not my style.  But still, it was a beautiful ceremony and Diana was lovely.
  Today, as we watched Catherine and William, I felt so happy for them.  Catherine, at 29, was nearly the same age I was at marriage.  I was 31 when I exchanged vows with my Irish prince (he's a prince to me).  On the day we married, sixteen years (and seven days) ago, he looked every bit as regal as William.  I didn't know it then, but in a way, our wedding was also royal.  According to Ancestry.com, I have numerous ancestors of royal blood (both English and French) on my father's side.  I won't list names, but trust me...its pretty cool.
   On our special day, my husband wore his finest uniform (he was a Major at the time).  We had Groomsmen with sabers, a beautiful Matron of Honor, a charming best man, sweet junior bridesmaids, adorable flower girls, and a very cute, somewhat restless ring bearer.  I wore a significantly non poofy gown.  Several questioned me as to why I wore a dress and not my own military uniform (I was a Captain then).  To me, the reason was simple.  Like most brides, I wanted the fairy tale.  I wanted to feel extraordinarily feminine, like a princess.  By the way, I absolutely loved Kate's gown.  In my opinion, it was an excellent choice.  Its funny, but if I put on my wedding gown today, I'm afraid I would have to have it altered.  With all the exercise and healthy eating, I am two sizes smaller than I was back in 1995.  : )  How awesome is that, right?    
   Well, when my husband headed to work, and our youngest to school, I relocated to the basement gym and continued to watch the couple's first official kiss (as husband and wife) from my treadmill.  What a beautiful couple they make.
   So, to Catherine and William, I wish the best life and love have to offer from your well, distant relatives in America.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment