Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Taking On New Hills

   Last night, we went out to dinner.  I was good.  I had a wine at the tasting, so at dinner I stuck to water.  I didn't drink as much water as I usually do.  Drinking water equates to having to pee.  Having to pee means searching for a clean restroom in unfamiliar territory.  Sometimes, that can be challenging.  The restaurant we went to was great for the boys...not so great for me.  But, pretty soon, I did find something I liked.  I had a portabello mushroom burger...no actual meat.  The portabello mushroom was the meat.  It was really good too...especially with the fresh slices of avocado.  After dinner, we wandered down the street.  We were lured in by fine Irish music and a sign that advertised Irish coffee.  Okay, I was naughty.  I had a Kahlua and coffee.  At least I resisted the Irish creme brule.  The boys didn't.  I guess it all levels out.  The owner of the Irish Pub turned out to also be the featured entertainment.  We bought his cds.  Just so you know, we only do that when we are seriouly impressed with the music.  His name was Liam Tiernan.  I should have guessed he was important early on.  Some customers were at the bar raising hell.  He chewed them out.  They were using profanities.  Some of the patrons had brought small children for dinner.  When the disruptive one's behavior got out of control, he did what any good Irishman would do...he sang louder than they could cuss. 
   This morning, we were getting ready for another big day.  I was sitting at the desk writing a letter to my mother, when I noticed a menu that featured Joy Bauer's healthy selections.  I got excited.  Yes, health food gets me excited.  I told my husband.  He wasn't really impressed.  He said, "That's nice."  "Don't you know who Joy Bauer is".  He didn't.  I explained that I watch her all the time on "The Today Show"...on Joy Fit Club.  When we went downstairs, we all had a relatively healthy breakfast.  I had the yogurt berry parfait.  My husband had the oatmeal.  Our youngest had a bagel...but he added a side of bacon.  My husband helped him with the bacon.  Me? I was good. 
    We took the most popular local transportation down to Chinatown and walked a bit.  Up and down the most amazing hills I have ever seen.  They were so steep, they actually made me dizzy.  Before long, I had to make a convenience stop.  We found a place.  The lady behind the counter said we had to buy something to use the restroom.  No problem.  We all had ice cream.  Yes, even me.  I can't remember the last time I had ice cream.  Somehow, that ice cream was some of the best I've ever had.  Mmmm...mint chocolate chip.  We did some shopping, walked some more, then did some more shopping, and had an amazing unusual lunch.  We were just walking along when some woman hands us a menu for a restaurant down an alley.  It made me leary.  How good could this place be if you had to coax people in?    We decided to give it a try.  The stairs to the main eating area were not easy.  I needed assistance.  Sometimes these knees make me feel so old.  We ordered something new to all of us.. I mean, I don't know if I've ever had Dim Sum before.  What is a Dim Sum?  What makes it dim?  Before long, they began bringing out food...and lots of it.  I had to be careful to avoid the pork and beef.  They try to sneak it in.  Just eating in this place was an adventure.  We barely made a dent.  There was so much food left over.  I guess, as a family, we eat smaller portions than we used to.  Eventually, my husband grew tired of Chinatown.  Our son?  He and I could have shopped there all day and been happy.  It was our kind of place. 
   We hopped back on the local transport and continued up the road (or was it down the road?).  I was so lost.  My husband had the map.  I trusted his pathfinder skills.  I think he has the badge.  We ended up in a more cosmopolitan area.  "Look mom, there's a Nordstrom's."  "Is it a rack?"  Sorry, too rich for my blood.  I am a frugal shopper.  We didn't stay long.  To me, it seemed colder than Chinatown, less welcoming.  There were too many big buildings...and they looked more like a special effect, surreal.  I wasn't anxious to stay.  I bought some cool earrings from a street vendor, we got on the bus, and headed towards the big bridge.  We got off at the market and walked some more.  Then we walked all the way back to our early morning start point.  All in all, even with the riding around, we did five miles of walking.  It was a beautiful day.  Cool and sunny...no more rain.  Sure beats treadmill time.  Anyway, I have just been advised that it is time to head out again.  Wine tasting?  Then dinner...
Time to log more miles on my pedometer.  : )  

No comments:

Post a Comment