Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Zip Line Adventure.

Family Time

  Yesterday, my son and I were joined by family.  We took it easy, rode around looking at properties in the area, had a wonderful dinner at the "Fareways", and watched a funny cheerleading movie ("Fired Up").  After that, I was down for the count.  If you remember, I had gotten up at 0330hrs that day.  It hit me around 2200hrs.  I just could not keep my eyes open.  They all stayed up and played hearts.  I went to the bedroom to read my book (Dead Reckoning, the latest in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris) until I fell asleep.  
   Eventually, I did drift off, but it wouldn't last.  I wasn't sure whether it was the Kahlua, brandy and cognac coffee drink I had at dinner or just the fact that I was excited.  The next morning, we were all going to do the zip line together.  I just could not relax my brain enough to sleep.  This happens often for me.  I joke about it sometimes, how I haven't slept well for thirty years.  But, even so, I managed to wake myself up at 0655hrs.  The clock went off at 0700hrs.  
   My husband made breakfast for everyone.  I had my usual...a whey protein smoothie, then later a Greek yogurt with granola.  Everyone else had bacon, eggs and toast.  I knew, if I had had what they had, I would have had other issues...like with my stomach.  Besides, this was a non pork year for me.  No bacon allowed.  
   We arrived at the office for the zip line canopy tour on time.  The guide we had on Wednesday was there.  he would not go with us today.  As before, I hit the ladies room before I was secured in my harness.  One never wants to have to pee after one is strapped in.  It just slows everything down.  But today, we had a comedian for a guide.  I swear I came close to peeing my pants a couple of times.  He was hilarious.  
Taking that leap of faith 
My son and I flew through the air for the second time in a week.  This time, we were like old pros.  We knew what to expect.   His dad, his Godparents?  They did great.  Now, Brian and Chuck were Airborne Soldiers for years.  Brian, a Jumpmaster, has over a hundred jumps.   These guys have no visible fear of heights.  With my back and knee injuries, I was never able to go to airborne school.  Even when I am looking down from a glass elevator, my stomach quivers a bit.  But here, I trusted the equipment and the guides.  For Angie, this was a new experience.  She is afraid of heights.  Today, you would never have guessed.  She seemed so calm and at peace.  At the top of the sometimes shaky platform, she showed no fear of the height.  She just looked out at the mountains and summed up the experience better than anyone.  "It really is beautiful up here."  In the end, we all had a wonderful time flying around on a Saturday morning.  I think we are all ready for the next new adventure.  How about sky diving?

No comments:

Post a Comment