Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A New Attitude


I once worked for the Army Reinvention Office. It was during the Clinton Presidency. I learned a lot during my time there and it wasn't just that converting from paper to disc was a good thing. I learned that anything can be reinvented, even people. All it takes is an attitude change and a little motivation to follow through.
Back then, I worked out and I was dedicated to the Atkins diet. Sure, it worked, but it wasn't the most healthy diet. I didn't miss the bread, but I wanted fruit and I didn't really like all the meat they wanted me eat. It wasn't long before I began adding healthier items. My "diet" slowly shifted from Atkins to more of a South Beach Diet feel.
Today, I don't consider what I do dieting. Its more of a life change. I read labels. I eat healthier foods. I make better choices. And its working for me. Yesterday, for example, I drank eight glasses of water and no soda (my rule, no soda unless its a mixer). I had one glass of decaf coffee with soy creamer and two packets of Truvia (I also like Splenda). I drank a wonderful whey protein shake (it filled two 12oz glasses) loaded with blueberries, strawberries, banana, and one spoonful of wheat germ. I had Greek yogurt with a scoop of granola. Throughout the day, I snacked on an apple, a small bag of nuts, hummus and whole wheat crackers. For dinner, while the family was eating beans and franks (another rule..I am not eating pork or beef this year...so far so good), I made a chicken fajita with leftover chicken, peppers, avocado, and chopped tomatoes. I had leftover black beans on the side. And yes, I even had dessert. Instead of my usual sugar free Jello with whipped cream, I tried something new. I had a cup of Lemon Meringue Jello Temptations. Its sweet, low calorie, and tastes just like the pie minus the crust. Hey, I never eat the crust anyway. I am hooked. And you know what? The family loves them too. Bonus! Never ever be afraid to try new things.
This morning, I got up with my husband, had a cup of decaf coffee, then went down to work out. I did the usual 5 miles on the treadmill, 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 butt lifts, and 300 small weight repetitions. Later, we went to see the new "Harry Potter" movie. I added 2 more miles just walking around the mall (rule...always remember the pedometer). At the movie, I drank a bottle of water (that makes six so far today and its only 1620hrs). I remembered to bring my protein bar so I wasn't tempted with the theater snacks.
You see, I think differently than I used to and its changed how I see food. I don't eat out of boredom. I don't eat foods just because everyone is eating them. Food now has a purpose to fuel my body engine. Sure, I crave sweet. Sometimes I even crave salty. But, now I know smarter ways to eat. I am constantly searching for healthy snacks and treats. Oh, and by the way, I eat small portions frequently. I'd say I probably eat every two to three hours.
I exercise more regularly and I only do what my body says I can do. I have learned to listen to my body. I also know smarter ways to exercise, which is good when you have injuries like I do. Take a look at me. I don't look broken. Yet I am literally unable to do a deep knee bend and get back up without pain. I've had two rather painful knee surgeries. Over the years, I was bedridden and heavily medicated after repeatedly throwing my back out. I have carpal tunnel syndrome, Fybromyalgia, IBS, etc, etc, etc and that's just the physical stuff. Physical therapy, chiropractic care, even acupuncture, I tried everything. None of it worked for me. I took medication for chronic migraines that started during Desert Storm (yes, back in 1991). I took my last migraine pill earlier this year. I saw a new doctor and she weaned me off.
Then I tried yoga. It helped. I added a deep muscle massage every now and then. I started walking, eating better. I reinvented me. I never would've have guessed I could control the pain, but I am off all prescription medications now. I take vitamins.
The pain? Except for the migraines, its still there. The only difference is my new attitude. The pain that tormented me? Today, I am not defined by it. I have taken control of my life again. The military would probably call it, "Suck it up and drive on." I call it finding my strengths, my sass, my personal Hooah!. Every day, I focus on those strengths instead of that which weakens me. What are your strengths?

No comments:

Post a Comment