Monday, July 11, 2011

A Difficult Task Ahead

   Yesterday, my husband and I decided to move forward on a home improvement project.  Its one of those we have procrastinated doing for what seems like forever.  We made one of those excursions to Lowe's.  What is it about Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc?  Men just seem to get excited as soon as you walk in the door.  Whenever he goes in other stores with me, he quickly says "In and out, okay?"  In my experience, he has never said that at one of these stores.  
   Anyway, we bought paint and all that goes with it.  A little over a hundred dollars, and about an hour later, we left.  We had some issues agreeing over the paint.  I like subdued colors.  He likes the bright.  Which explains why our living room is sunshine yellow and our dining room is pale green.  We try to meet each other half way.  This time though, we were painting one of the kid's rooms.  We finally decided on a color called barefoot beach.   I'm not sure, but I think I won the color battle.  
  Before we went to bed last night, we began the most difficult task...removing the existing "Hot wheels" border.  The room was transitioning from little boy room to cool teenager room.  Luckily, my husband has one of those high speed garment steamers.  Luckily, his wife had the foresight to buy it for him a few years back.  I hate to imagine trying to peel off the old border without it.  With the steamer, it was pretty simple.  It was funny to watch us, trying to maneuver in the small room...trying to roll the steamer around and not bang it each other (it was extremely hot).  Eventually, we finished the job, happy that we had not decided to wait and do it all the next day..  
  When we got up this morning, we went for a quick four mile walk in the neighborhood.  We didn't do much else.  After all, we knew we would be painting and moving furniture all day.  That in itself is quite a work out.  While I began the painting, my husband went to work on another task.  It seemed today was a good day for getting "honey do's" done.  He power washed the deck.   Now, he said this was hard work.  And he did come back in all sweaty, but...every time a man says the word "Power wash", I know he is enjoying the experience.  Anytime a man can use big tools, he is a happy camper.  Me?  None of that really appeals to me.  I'm just looking forward to the hard stuff being done so I can focus on what I do best...the decorating.
  We had to begin with a pretty good primer because the room was bright red halfway up the wall.  After a couple of coats of paint, it looked much better.  I'd like to say my back isn't sore, but that would be a lie.  My back is sore.  But I'm okay.  No need to medicate today.  And that's always a good thing.  
  Well, I'd better get back to work.  Its touch up time, then after a bit more drying...we move the furniture back in.  Oh joy.  I'll let you know how it comes out.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment