Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Recovering From Bad Choices

  Yes, believe it or not, sometimes even a Fitness Goddess makes poor choices.  Last night, I made three.  We went to over to our extended family's home for a barbecue.  As usual, they went out of their way in the hospitality department catering to those of us trying to stay on the health track.  I have given up on foods that seem to irritate my digestive system, such as beef and pork.  While most were to enjoy thick and juicy hamburgers, they bought me a fabulous salmon burger.  If you've never had them, they were absolutely yummy.  Where I screwed up?  I ate mine on a white bread bun.  I didn't have to.  It was a conscious bad choice...and not one I normally make.  I suppose I could have ate my salmon burger without the bun.  I didn't.  As my stepdaughter says, "I am over it."  After all, I did have loads of veggies with it.
   Even before we left the house, I was making bad choices.  I was at the store when my husband called me on my cell phone.  "Pick up some 7 up for your drinks."  Soda?  Me?  I know.  My rule is...No soda, diet or regular, unless it is a mixer.  Did I have to have a Seven and seven?  No.  Did I even have to have alcohol?  No.  But I did...light on the Seagram's and heavy on the soda.  Again, I am over it.
   But, perhaps the worst choice I made all evening was having a decadent dessert.  It is a rare occasion that I allow myself to have a non-healthy dessert.  I always say no to birthday cake.  I usually say no to pie (and I love pie).  Usually, if I have dessert,  its consists of sugar free jello with a little whipped cream on top.  I had no excuses.  I had a taste of what I brought (a red velvet cake roll), a taste of what a dear friend brought (cake with vanilla pudding, whipped cream and berries, and I even have one chocolate covered pretzel..you can eat just one).  I was naughty.  But, that was yesterday.
   Today is a new day.  When you make less than perfect choices, and fall off the healthy wagon, you have to get up, brush yourself off, and move out with a positive attitude.  You have to accept yourself for who you are.  What is that?  Uh...human.  You have to get over it.  Otherwise, you fall into the "I am a failure" mentality.  Do not do that!  Occasional bad choices are minor, part of life, and easy to overcome like driving around a pothole in the road.
   One easy way to make yourself feel better...go grocery shopping.  Make a game out of locating healthy products and trying them.  I did.  And I found these!  Just 27 chips per 110 calorie serving in the sour cream and onion flavor, 30 chips per 110 calorie serving in the sea salt flavor.  I mean, who doesn't have a craving for salty goodness now and then, right?  Mmmm.
  Now, I am on the hunt for the "who nu?" cookies.  The website says to check Shoppers grocery store.     http://whonucookies.com/Nutrition.aspx  They have a bit more sugar than I like, but they might be a healthier option for my teenager.  He has an addiction to Oreo's.  Hey, who can blame him?  Oreo's and Silk soy milk...yum.  I know...I know... You like real milk.  No worries.  To each, his/her own.  Me?  I have a soy milk mustache.       
  I'm not going to torture myself for bad choices I may have made.  The past is past.  Its not healthy to dwell on it.  After all, I did walk eight miles yesterday.  Today, I am back on track.  But, just to be safe, I did 50 extra weight repetitions, and 50 extra push ups.  My arms are sore, but I feel great.  Have a healthy day today.  : )
     

No comments:

Post a Comment