Sunday, July 24, 2011

Camping At The Solomons


I managed to log another 8 miles during our weekend away at the Solomons in Maryland. One would assume the intense temperatures (it averaged around 100 degrees every day with near 100% humidity) would have scared away the campers, but surprisingly it was crowded. On the very first night, we went over to the beach to try to cool of. Afterwards, we cleaned up and went looking for a place to have dinner. I had crab cakes at the Dry Dock Restaurant. It was upscale and we didn't have reservations, but the folks there were really nice. They cleared way for the five of us to eat at the bar and the food was incredible http://www.zahnisers.com/RESTAURANT.htm.
The rest of the family stayed up late and played cards, while I went to the bedroom of the camper and learned to play the "Angry birds" APP on the computer. There was no internet access at our site. The next morning, my husband and I went for a short walk around the navy recreation center where our campsite was. I say campsite, but most would say its not really camping when your camper has air conditioning, ceiling fans, and two bathrooms. When you've spent most of your adult life sleeping on the ground with the ticks and chiggers, you learn to appreciate camping in style. Besides, my husband and I both suffer from issues related to back injuries. After our walk, we made a breakfast fit for royalty complete with eggs, bacon (which I did not eat), toast, fresh fruit, and yogurt.
Then, we went exploring. Well, we were really searching for a Starbucks. We all needed a fix...and I wanted internet access. For lunch, we went to Cheeseburger in Paradise. Yumm..veggie Mushroom Swiss burger and sweet potato chips. We even found a cool antique shop www.grandmothersstore.com. Then, we came back to the camp and tried swimming in the pool (they had three). Eventually, we got tired of the crowded pool and went down to the beach. That didn't last long. It was pretty gross, the water was like a warm bath, and for some reason, the flies thought we were food. Back to the camper and a clean shower. In the evening, we decided to beat the heat and find a local movie theater. The theater was in the middle of no where, but it had all the newest movies and for once, we saw the same movie (the new "Transformers"). Normally, we can never agree on what to see and we split up. Well, three hours in the cool theater...priceless. When it was over, we stopped in at Red Robin for late night snacks. I had Chicken Tortilla Soup. I had hoped for a Kahlua and coffee, but they screwed it up. I think they poured the coffee, then waved the Kahlua over it. I ended up ordering a shot of Bailey's too. Back at the camper, we nuked marshmallows (in the microwave) and made Smores. Don't laugh. It was still nearly 90's at night. No way were we going to make a camp fire.
Despite the heat, we had a good time this weekend. I have to admit it was nice just being a family. Right now, I have an unimaginable amount of laundry to do. I feel like a kid from "Jersey shore". Gym (walking and swimming), tan (at the beach and pool), and now...laundry.




No comments:

Post a Comment