Monday, July 18, 2011

A Home Filled With Love And Laughter

Its better to walk with family
   Last night, the family began arriving for a short visit.  I went from an empty house last week to a home filled with love and laughter this week.  All in all, they were about eleven of us for dinner last night.  You know what?  I have the best relatives in the world.  We started off with appetizers.  Safe Sushi AKA California rolls, brie, a cheese log, whole grain chips/salsa, and crackers and hummus.  Then, we filled up on steaks and salmon (I had the salmon), corn on the cob, grilled veggies, fruit, potatoes au gratin, crescent rolls, etc.  After dinner, my Sister in Law says, "Are you going walking in the morning?"  I love that they are so supportive of me and my efforts towards health and fitness.  Even more so, I love that they are also health conscious.  I smiled and told her yes.  "Can I come?"  Before I could say anything, my niece says, "If you wake me, I'll come too."  It felt so good to think I was going to have company in my morning walk.  Its been a long time since I walked with someone other than my husband.
   When I went up to bed, I lay out my work out clothes.  I actually had trouble getting to sleep.  I was excited about finally being able to walk and have girl talk.  I set the clock for 0600hrs just in case the body clock failed to go off.  My relatives were planning an early day walking around the Nation's Capital, so the house was quiet pretty early.  I went up to bed around 2230hrs (1030pm).  When I got up there, my husband was already asleep (He had to work the next day).  I was too wound up to sleep.  I pulled out my kindle, thinking that a bit of reading might help me wind down.  It did.  I finally drifted off at about 2330hrs (1130pm).  Then, around 0400, the cat came into our room fussing.  Normally, she starts whining at 0700hrs.  I guess her body clock is off too.  She isn't used to all this commotion, all these new people in the house.  She wanted things to be back to normal.  Anyway, I'm not sure how I did it, but I eventually fell back to sleep.
  My husband and I got up with the alarm at 0600hrs.  By 0700hrs (after coffee of course), we were out the door on our little walk...four miles around the neighborhood.  It was amazing.  Not only did the weather cooperate, but the walk went by very quickly.  We talked the whole way.  I wish we lived closer.  I wish we could walk together every day.
  Somehow, I think I got the better part of the deal.  Here, they would be walking all over Washington, DC, but due to previous commitments, I couldn't go.  I'm sure I walked a couple of miles doing errands but, as I didn't have my pedometer, I can't be sure of the count.  At this point, I'm not really worried about falling behind in my journey to one thousand miles in 2011.  After all, I have 744 miles so far.  
   I know they'll be gone in a couple of days, but we'll see each other again soon and well...at least I'll have the memory of our time together.  One thing is for sure, when we do get together, its safe to say we will probably walk together again.  : )  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment