Sunday, July 10, 2011

Comparing The Whey Protein I Recommend

 
   Every day, whey protein powder serves as a valuable part of my healthy "fill me up" fruit smoothies.  Well, you all know how much I love trying new things.  Whey Protein is no different.  If I find a new brand on the market, I will most likely try it out...if nothing else, so I can tell you all about it.
   I was in the store the other day when I spotted Pure Protein's version of whey powder.  You might be familiar with their tasty protein bars (my favorite is the chocolate peanut butter).  The bars have 20grams of protein, only 2 grams of sugar, and are about 200 calories each.  They are great if you need to satisfy your appetite during the day.  Please don't skip meals.  Remember my rule of thumb...eat regularly...just eat small portions ( a piece of fruit, a veggie, or if necessary...a protein bar).  
   Anyway, I now have three types of whey protein powders in my kitchen.  Each has its merits.  For taste, I like the GNC Be-Buff best, but the cost is a bit high for my taste.  With this brand, watch out for sales.  I found a bag for $14.00 on sale.  I think it regularly sells for around $24.00 (ouch).  The Jillian Michaels natural whey protein is good.  You can find that at Walmart for around $10.  Finally, Pure Protein's 100% whey protein is similar in taste to Jillian's and it runs about $11.00.  I think you can find it wherever most Pure Protein bars are sold.  Here's how they're labels compare:

                                   Jillian Michaels                  GNC Be Buff                            Pure protein powder
Taste comparison         tie for second                      first place                                 tie for second
Cost                            $10                                     $24 (14 on sale)                           $11
Servings per container  15                                      14                                                 13
Calories                       100                                    100                                               140
Carbs                          7gms                                  8gms                                             3gms
Protein                        15gms                                15gms                                           25gms
Dietary Fiber                3gms                                 3gms                                             0gms
Sugar                           3gms                                 2gms                                             2gms
(made with....)             Stevia                                 Sucralose                                      Sucralose
Calcium                       108mg                                500mg                                          200mg

These are the big numbers.  You might want to check them out yourself.  Ask these questions...
Do you worry more about the calories or the amount of protein?
Do you get enough fiber in your diet?
Stevia or Sucralose?
Do you need extra calcium?
Lastly, does the price matter?  For me, the GNC brand rates the highest; however, its not worth it if I have to spend $24.  I mean, I drink this stuff every day.  One shouldn't have to go broke to stay in shape, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment