Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Home Improvement

  Yesterday, I told my husband I was going to paint the staircase.  I don't know what has gotten into me.  Maybe I'm sick or something.  I am not one of those women who takes on projects like painting.  Honestly, I don't even like to hang pictures.  I am the woman who makes the honey do list (I like lists), then gently reminds her husband that he is not keeping up.  No, I am definitely not the home improvement queen.
  Still, before we went to bed last night, I asked my husband to lay out the paint we had used for the bedroom trim and a new brush.  I don't think he believed, at the time, that I would actually get to it...but I did.
  He got up around 0330 to catch an early flight.  I slept in.  Well, I slept until 0600hrs.  I walked into the new  office/spare bedroom.  I had forgotten there was no longer a fish to feed.  The cat was waiting at the top of the stairs tapping her paw, "You coming?" ...she seemed say.  As we slowly made our descent, I looked at the staircase.
   A few months ago, we added hardwood floors.  When they ripped up the carpeting, you could see where the paint ended and the carpet had begun.  I was reminded of this every time I went up and down those stairs.  We kept saying we would eventually paint the whole foyer, but well...its somewhere on that honey do list.  I'm at home a good deal of the day and it was bothering me.  I figured what the heck.  I had the paint.  I had the motivation.  I could at least tackle the staircase mission.  The foyer?  Sorry.  You don't want to see me attempting something by myself on a ladder.  Its an awkward thing and I would need a spotter.  And if I had a spotter, well...he could do the painting, right?  : )
   I took my vitamins, drank water, fed the cat, and sat down to enjoy a few quiet minutes with my decaf hazelnut coffee.  I taped up the stairs in advance so I wouldn't make some lame excuse as to why I couldn't paint today, then went down to work out.  Today was a good day.  I made it to five miles with a gradual incline along the way.  I did the usual fifty push ups, one hundred sit ups, one hundred butt lifts, and three hundred weight repetitions (low weight, high rep).  Then, I came back up.  I drank a protein smoothie and changed into my painting clothes.  Unfortunately, I had thrown away the painting clothes from before.  I mean, who would have thought I'd need them again?  So, today, my painting clothes consisted of a scarf (to cover my hair), a tank top and a pair of Elvis boxer shorts.  Very Chic.  Sorry no one was here to take a picture.  In no time at all, the stairs looked much better than before.
  I went up, took my shower, then set out to accomplish another item on the honey do list.  I dealt with the cable company.  Not my favorite thing, I assure you.  As it turned out, even that issue was completely fixable.  What's next?  I have no idea.  But what I do know is...I really like having the energy to do a little home improvement now and then.        

No comments:

Post a Comment