Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Baby Shower

   From 1400hrs to 1700hrs today, I attended a baby shower for a neighbor's daughter.  These events give us the chance to welcome a new addition to the family, catch up on gossip, and enjoy some delicious appetizers artfully prepared by the hostess.
   They do present a bit of a challenge to those of us trying to stay on course with regard to eating right.  I thought I'd prepared myself.  Before I left my house, I drank lots of water and ate an apple.
   But, there I was, faced with a table full of all my favorites.  On earlier occasions, I would have a glass of wine as soon as I walked in the door.  Today, I opted for a cup of the non-alcoholic punch.  When it was time to fill plates with decadent yummies, I tried to sample only the more nutritious items on the table.  I used whole wheat crackers when eating the crab dip.  I ate sushi.  I had a few of the spinach rolls.  And well, I can never resist her famous homemade guacamole.  I stayed away from the pigs in a blanket and the meatballs (pork and beef are off limits to me now).  And I just said no to the cake, the cupcakes and candies.  No ones feelings were hurt.
  Right now, I feel pretty good about my decisions.  But looking back, I probably should have drank water in lieu of the punch.  Next time I will.  The point is...you can stay somewhat on track even when attending functions where the primary activities are opening presents and eating.  You can fill up on fruits, veggies, and other healthier options.  When surrounded by foods that are both healthy and not so healthy, you can make smart choices.  You need only be aware you have a choice.  The decision is ultimately up to you.            

No comments:

Post a Comment