Thursday, July 7, 2011

Life's Little Wins

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill
  
  When we woke up this morning, my husband was telling me about something he had heard...a correlation between time one could run a mile and one's level of fitness.  "What about walking?"  "That wasn't part of the study".  "Well, I guess it wasn't very thorough, huh?"  Then I took him to the gun show.  That is...I showed him my the muscles in my arms.     
  Today, I had a little success.  I surpassed a milestone in this year's journey.  Today, I passed the 700 mile mark.  It didn't come with a major celebration.  My husband was at work.  My teenage son was still asleep.  No bells and whistles.  No parades.  No cheering crowds.  A little personal win.  It will never make the papers.  But still, it happened and I am proud to have gotten this far.      
  About the time I was nearing the end of my workout (I was doing the 15lb kettle bell lifts), I watched the television news.  I think a good part of the nation was watching.  A little girl was dead and the world had become a part of it.  In all likelihood, no one would ever know the truth as to what had occurred, only that she had been a victim of a homicide, and her mother had lied to the authorities on several occasions.  Found not guilty of murder, the mother was sentenced to serve time for her lies alone.  Many believe she succeeded in getting away with murder.  One thing is for sure.  Life will go on.  Tomorrow, the mother who lied will still be in prison and there will most likely be another big story to capture our attention.  In time, the little girl will be all but forgotten.  Not because she didn't matter, but because sadly she is not the first nor the last to suffer needlessly.  Let us not forget Madeleine McCann.  http://www.findmadeleine.com/index.html  For her, and many others, there is at least hope of a happy ending.      
   So, today I celebrate my little win in my own way...quietly.  I'll finish the book I am reading, take my son to his dental appointment, followed by his first guitar lesson.  I'll give him a hug and tell him I love him.  Tonight, my husband and I will raise a glass of wine to my little achievement.  Tomorrow, I will get up, get dressed, and continue on one step at a time until I reach the next milestone.
   We cannot change what has happened in Florida this week, but perhaps, we will try harder to make to church on Sunday...thankful for what we have.    

"God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life 
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen."

--Reinhold Niebuhr  
   
  
            

No comments:

Post a Comment