Friday, July 15, 2011

Walk, Movie, Walk

  My body clock woke me at 0630hrs this morning.  And even though my workout clothes were all laid out for the normal routine, I just couldn't bring myself to but them on.  I didn't feel like hitting the treadmill.  I didn't feel like walking outside.  So, I hopped in the shower and dressed in comfortable clothes.  After coffee and a couple of glasses of water, I put on my sketchers and headed over to the mall.  I figured I could get in at least a couple of miles, then see a movie a friend had recommended (yes, alone).
  Well, as I drove up to the theater, I soon realized I had picked the wrong weekend to see a movie.  The final "Harry Potter" had opened and the line was all the way down the street.  No worries.  I would wait to get the tickets to my movie later.  In the mean time, I could walk around Potomac Mills outlet mall. For every complete lap you do, you can log two miles.  I did two laps before the movie, then another lap afterward just window shopping.  Well, it was less shopping and more critiquing the store's windows.  I have a few things at the mall that seriously bug me.  One is those salespeople that try to lure you by offering to straighten your hair, to tweeze your eyebrows, or to put smelly lotion on you.  Another is store windows that are atrociously decorated.  I also have a thing about spelling errors, but that's another subject entirely.  I mean, there is no excuse for a news channel misspelling the word "political", right?  Anyway, a good window design will definitely bring me in a store.  A bad one will just make me walk past shaking my head wondering how the misguided person who did it still held the job.
   There were a lot of people walking at the mall today.  There were the regulars and some new folks who were probably just looking to escape the heat and humidity.  Summer also brings out the families.  Little kids can run around at the mall and you don't have to worry.  Its relatively safe; however, the security guards rolling around on their Segways?  Not so safe.  They often have to dodge patrons.  One nearly ran me over one day, but we both had a laugh about it.  When I walk, I am a woman on a mission.  I tend to blank out outside influences..even those on their own missions.
  By the time I returned, the line had completely diminished.  All the Harry Potter fans had gone inside.  I would wait an see Harry Potter with our son.  I promised.  Today, I saw "Larry Crowne".  The movie was really good and I was pleasantly surprised by what it cost me.  It was an early show (0925hrs), and one that had been out for a while I guess.  It only cost me $6.00.  I know, right?  And better yet, the cashier informed me I had $10.00 on my Stubs account.  Ten dollars?  I didn't know you built up credit on those cards.  So, I went to the snack stand (there was no line) and asked what she was talking about.  Turns out, I could use that $10 towards snack cost.  I got a free bottle of water.  It was a bonus, believe me.  Water is usually outrageous at $4.00.  Heck, for $4.00, I could get over a case of water at Costco.  I didn't mind though.  I was naughty.  I snuck in a protein bar, so I wouldn't be tempted by the over priced treats.  There were seven people in my show including myself.  Very nice.  No one made noise.  No one kicked the back of my chair.  I cannot wait until my stepdaughter comes.  She loves going to movies, and she is in no way embarrassed to have her 40 something Step mom sitting next to her because I'm cool, I always pay, and (on a good day) I could pass for one of her friends.  I like that.  Lately, with our son, I always feel like I'm embarrassing him.  I can't say much.  I was the same as his age.
  When I got home, it was just after 1300hrs..still early.  By now, I was hungry again.  I checked the fridge, but it was pretty empty.  My boys are coming home tomorrow.  I needed to get milk.  I don't drink it, but I'm the one who gets scolded if its not there or heaven forbid expired.  Time for another walk to the grocery store.  You know, milk is heavy when you have to carry it down the street along with other odds and ends.  I was going to do push ups, but I believe everything counts.  I figure I already my arm exercises.  I will forego the push ups today.  Besides, according to my pedometer, I walked a total of six and half miles today. : )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment