Friday, July 29, 2011

Don't Stop Believing


This morning, I hopped on the treadmill for my five miles. It was getting hotter and hotter outside and I didn't want to take an unnecessary risk. Besides, Journey was playing in the Today Show's summer concert series. I listened to Journey a lot when I was stationed in Germany back in the eighties. One might say Steve Perry got me through some pretty rough times. Anyway, I was looking forward to hearing the old tunes again. Journey is one of the those bands that has lived on despite time. My youngest loves their music as much as I do. When we hear it on the radio in the car, you'll find us both singing along. They have a new lead singer now. He's not bad, but I can hear the difference and well...I will always miss Steve Perry. This morning, I was able to do a pretty steep incline. I just closed my eyes and sang along, "Don't stop believing..."
After my workout (walk, 50 push ups, 400 assorted light weight reps, 100 sit ups, and yes...100 butt lifts), I drove over to the local Marine base with our eldest boy. I needed to visit the tour and travel office. We needed tickets for something we are planning to do in the next few days (more to follow at a later date). We try to keep the kids busy during the summer. Vacations are pretty rare and to me quality time is like working out. It all counts. You can buy a kid tons of stuff, but its the memories of time together they will cherish forever.
While we were at the Marine base, our eldest got a real military haircut. He looks very sharp and is sure to make a good impression at his ROTC unit. He will need another haircut before school. Its a month away.
While he was in with the barber, I went over to the clothes section of the MCX (Marine Corps Exchange). At first I thought I was in the Misses area, but I later discovered I was in Junior's. Still, I was killing time so, I tried on a pair of shorts that caught my eye. I grabbed two sizes. With all the vanity sizing nowadays, I never know what will fit. Let's just say, I was pleasantly surprised. It was turning into a beautiful day, despite the heat.
Last night wasn't so beautiful. My husband was on another work trip. The toilet he had fixed before he left broke again. I tried to fix it, but I ended up with this nasty black dye-like stuff all in my fingernails. It took me half a dozen washes to get it all off. I never did get that toilet fixed. All night long, I stressed about how I was going to remember not to use that particular potty in the middle of the night when I was half awake. I ended up just taking the lid off the back of the tank. It could wait until my husband got home. I knew he'd figure it out. I need to read up on plumber stuff I guess.
When we got home, we decided to escape the heat. We went and saw a movie, "Cowboys and Aliens." I liked it. I was in the mood for some action and adventure. Nothing like a good western with killer aliens abducting the locals, right? I was good. I had one of those $7.00 "Snack Healthy" packs with the granola bar, Corn Poppers, fruit snacks, and bottled water. I don't really like the dried fruit, but the price is right and I never can finish the box. "Super 8" is still my favorite movie so far this year.
Well, we are home now and I guess I need to figure out what's for dinner before they start asking. Someday, they'll all come up to me and say, "Hey, lets eat healthy tonight and oh, by the way, can we help make dinner?"
Don't stop believing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment