Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day Workout

   After a week away, it felt amazing just to be back in our sleep number bed.  When I woke up, I felt absolutely refreshed and ready to get back to work...so to speak.  I guess it would be more accurate to say back to work out.  Then again, I did work out four out of seven days of my vacation (and two of those seven days were travel time).
   I nudged my husband at 0630hrs, "I'm getting up and going for a walk."  "I want to go."  So, we did.  We walked a four mile path near the neighborhood, the same one I began on when I first started walking back in April 2010.  Now, it seems like so long ago, the day I made the decision to get off the couch and go for a walk.  This morning, it was damp out, muggy.  We had a huge storm last night.  It even made the lights flicker a bit.  The wind was out of control and there was even a bit of hail.  Our youngest gathered all the flashlights.  My husband unplugged all the televisions and computers.  I just sat in the living room and watched the show.  It was beautiful.  "We really should go down in the basement", he says.  Yeah, right.  Like that was going to happen.  I am a Virginia girl.  We don't fear thunderstorms.  We go out on the porch and enjoy the breeze.  Okay, we do sometimes duck when the lightning strikes.  We are fearless, not foolish.  
   Anyway, on our walk, my knees were acting up a little.  The left one gave, then later, the right.  Its okay.  Its nothing new.  My knees are pretty messed up.  Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and drive on.  Besides, I wasn't going to let anything ruin the morning I got to walk hand in hand with my Sweetie.  Mornings like these are rare, you know?            There were others out today...walkers, runners. We even saw a family riding one of those bicycles built for three.  Very cute.  Dad, mom, and a little girl dangling her feet in the back.  We saw a bunny too.  But before I could snap a photo, it had hopped away.
   When we got home, I felt like I needed to do more.  So, I went down into the basement gym and walked another 4 miles (eight total), did 300 weight repetitions, 100 sit ups, 50 push ups, and something I hadn't done in a week...100 butt lifts.  By the time I finished, I was drenched.  I was positively glowing.  Shower, errands, blog...  Tonight, barbecuing with family and friends, maybe some small fireworks to celebrate our nation's independence.  Be safe and have a happy, healthy fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment