Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sunshine, Negative Ions, And A Warm Butt

 Last night, my stupid foot was killing me.  It keeps cramping at the joint below my toe.  Its nothing new.  Its been doing this since before I got out of the Army.  They said it was probably because I had been wearing combat boots for too many years and they provided no solution to my pain.  It wasn't constant, just occasionally excruciating...so no worries, right?
This morning, I got up and did my usual routine down in the basement.  But afterwards, I really felt as if I could do more.  So, I changed shirts (my first shirt was drenched with sweat) and bundled up for a walk outside.  What was I thinking????  First of all, it was 43 degrees outside.  I got halfway down the street before I had second thoughts.  I thought it would be warmer.  I mean, the sun was out.  Then I turned the first corner, the one shaded by the trees.  The cold air hit me.  Then a truck went by and that wind caught me.  I started to shiver.  My back hurt.  My knees hurt.  And my stupid foot cramped up and nearly threw me.  UGH!  I was the only crazy one outside at this point...all alone and freezing my butt off.
Then it happened.  I cleared the trees and the warm sunshine hit me on the face (it was the only exposed area).  It felt so wonderful, I just knew I could keep going despite the pain.  And I did.  I even walked the big hill today.  As I turned the corner and headed home, the warm sunshine hit me smack dab on the rear end.  It was so warm, I felt like I was being gently nudged along by mother nature herself, and I was positively energized.  Before long, I saw another walker...then a runner.  I wasn't alone any more.
I turned the final corner and the wind picked up.  But the cold wind didn't phase me anymore.  Mother nature was on my side now and I was not walking against her.  I was walking with her.  I saw a leaf out of the corner of my eye.  It was on the sidewalk next to me.  I know this sounds silly but, it seemed as if it were somehow racing me to the finish line.  I picked up speed, then, it picked up speed.  We went back and forth for 100 ft or so, then I smiled when I flew past it.  I won.  And I was nearly home.
When I walked in, my Stepdaughter was finishing her workout.  After showers, we decided to take a trip over to Walmart.  I hadn't been in a while and neither had she.  While there, we couldn't help but check out the fitness section.  Walmart has a decent fitness section.  And if you are ever looking for protein powder or bars, take my advice and try them before you go to more pricey places like GNC.   There was a lady there looking at the Shake Weights.  I told her I had one.  We talked a bit about how it works and she said I should be on the commercial.  Wouldn't that be funny?  Me, on a commercial for fitness products...
Today, I picked up one of those ion necklaces I keep seeing on athletes and in places like Dick's sporting goods.  Do they work?  Who knows?  The package says it helps with optimizing energy, strength, balance, endurance, and flexibility.  I'll give it a try and see if I notice a difference in my performance or overall pain level.  Maybe I'll get lucky.  I'll let you know.   Hey, if nothing else, they look pretty cool.  Does wearing one of these make me an athlete?  I know. I know.  That's a stretch.
Well, we both froze heading back to the car.  I'll never get used to the cold weather.  On the way home, I turned on the seat heaters in the car.  I don't think I could ever again buy a car without seat heaters.  The warmth just makes me feel so much better, so much more driven to excel.  You know, whether its the sun nudging me along on my morning  walk or driving around in my car with the seat heaters on, I am beginning to believe if your butt is warm, you can accomplish anything.        

No comments:

Post a Comment