Sunday, November 20, 2011

Too Much Of A Good Thing


Breakfast at 0700hrs consisted of plain yogurt, granola with raisins, topped with a couple of slices of a strawberry.  It was huge!  It was so massive, I didn't eat anything else until nearly 1300hrs.  We were staying at the Renaissance, a hotel not far from where my mom lives.  It was a short trip but, even the short trips make her smile.  http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/orfpt-renaissance-portsmouth-hotel-and-waterfront-conference-center/
The home I grew up in is tiny compared to where we live now and unfortunately, it sits within walking distance of a Dunkin Donuts, a KFC, a Taco Bell, a Wendy's, a MacDonald's, and an Arby's.  I know.  I know.  Given the challenge, I could probably find something healthy even in fast food joints.
More often than not, when we visit, we try to hold out until we can eat someplace a bit more upscale.
Last night, the consensus was Chili's had something for everyone.   http://www.chilis.com/EN/Pages/menu.aspx?RestaurantID=001.005.0069&OnlineEnabled=True
I ordered a Guiltless Santa Fe Chicken Wrap.  My brother said it didn't look "guiltless".  He said it looked like a small pipe bomb.  Funny.  I smiled and said, "Hey, at least I have broccoli as a side."  I have to tell you, it was much more than I could handle.  Had we not been staying in a hotel, I would have taken half of it home.
When we went back to the room, the boys snacked a bit.  I just had water.  I don't know where they put it.  I was so full, my stomach was hurting.  You can easily have too much of a good thing if you aren't careful.  
So, this morning, when I saw the restaurant's $7.00 yogurt granola parfait, I nearly fell out of the booth.  Though I quickly understood why it was so expensive, I wondered...why do restaurants feel they the need to serve such large portions?  Do they really expect us to finish?  I mean, no wonder there is an obesity epidemic.  Even our healthy foods are super sized.
When we got home, I had one of my whey protein smoothies (minus the banana) and I felt better, more on track.  Its nice to be back home where I can, not only eat healthy but, control my portion sizes too.
Looks yummy doesn't it?  It was but, personally, I would have made it with less yogurt, less granola and more fruit.    

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing you guys for Thanksgiving. It will be great to catch up! guruganesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait. I am planning on going vegetarian with you this year. Hugs. T

    ReplyDelete