Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Morning With The Infomercials

Christmas Photo 1966
You are probably reading this wondering, "How does this photo go with today's post title?"  Well, allow me to explain how.  This morning was daylight savings time.  We were supposed to turn the clocks back one hour.  My body didn't seem to understand that I was allowed to sleep in this morning.  I rolled out of bed at what once was 0700hrs (now 0600hrs), and could not get back to sleep.  I wasn't alone.  The cat was also on the old time and she was hungry.  So, there we were, the cat and I, alone on a Sunday morning wondering what to do with our time.  She seemed contented once I opened the kitchen cabinet.  That's where her food is.  I fed her, made a cup of coffee, and gazed out the sun room window.  There was a light touch of frost on the ground.  It looked positively tranquil.  It also looked...cold.  I grabbed one of my husband's warm flannel shirts and sat down on the couch.  It was dark and very very quiet.  
Soon, we would have the fireplace going.  As much as the winter months aggravate my injuries, I do love when we have a fire in the fireplace.  The heat...the crackling...I don't know what it is, but I just love the whole routine of laying the wood in just the right position and starting a fire from nothing.  I don't especially like the fireplace cleaning routine but, to me, its all worth it.  I can't even imagine having a gas fireplace.  I'm old fashioned that way.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not primitive.  I do use the fire starter logs.  Its rather difficult to gather kindling here in the suburbs.      
This morning, it wasn't quite cold enough for the fireplace.  I was fine, warm and cozy in my husband's shirt.  With nothing else to occupy my time, I turned on the television.  Isn't it funny how just the background noise can be comforting when you are all alone in the dark?  I flipped around but, it was early, and many of the channels were airing those annoying paid advertisements.  I found myself watching a segment on an ab machine that looked like a large belt.  Of course, the actors in the infomercial already had six pack abs.  They usually do.  There they are running around on the beach barely dressed, while I sit here bundled up under a throw blanket.  I was transfixed if only by the image of sunshine and beach.  I couldn't pull myself away from the channel.   What did this contraption do?  Supposedly, when you wore it, it pulsated to work your muscles.  I laughed.  I've done 15,600 sit ups/crunches this year alone.  Was I wasting my time?  Maybe I could have bought one of these Ab belts and somehow managed amazing ripped abs in only 60 days?  Okay, we both know that is just silly, even those of us who grew up with televisions in the background of their holiday photo.  Television may have always been part of my life, but I don't naively believe everything I see on it (okay, maybe I did at age three).  You think its strange my parents had our one television as the background?  Well, perhaps the tacky silver tree would have been better.  Hey, I saw one of those aluminum trees on eBay selling for $500.00.  Apparently, its now considered "vintage".  : }
Anyway, back to the paid television advertisements.  You have to know there are no shortcuts when it comes to health and fitness.  Don't be fooled.  Trust me.  You absolutely have to do the work.  And this comes from someone who knows, someone who has tried many of those shortcuts.  I once owned a thigh master.  Its a fad.  Its fun, but its just a tool like anything else.  Things like this don't automatically help you get in shape just because you took the time to purchase them one early morning while watching television infomercials.  You ordered it.  You took the first step.  Now, you have to take the second step.
Do you really need a special belt machine to flex the muscles of your abs?  As I understand it, the belt works kind of like those Tens units they use in physical therapy.  It just stimulates the nerves.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation 
Me?  Times are tough.  I want to be fit, but I don't need to spend the money.  I am perfectly capable of managing my work out without outside electrical stimulation.  Okay...I'm sorry, but that just sounds wrong.
I'm not saying all infomercial purchases are bad.  I bought my "Juice-man" Juicer for around $200.00 from an infomercial back in 1991 and I used it to make delicious healthy juice drinks for more than ten years.  I think that was pretty incredible, don't you?
My point is...watch what you buy on impulse.  Are you being lured into something you will regret later?  Is it a tool that will help you reach your goal?  Or is it a shortcut?  Avoid the shortcuts.  They are a waste of money.  And if buy that elliptical or "total gym" while watching your favorite fitness folks early one morning when you find yourself alone and flipping channels, be sure you don't let it become a place to hang your laundry.  Remember to use what you purchase.  There are no shortcuts.  You don't get extra credit just for spending the money.  You have to do the work.  You have to take the next step.    

No comments:

Post a Comment