Monday, November 14, 2011

He Doesn't Even Offer It Anymore


This morning, I got up early to get our youngest off to school.  My husband had slept in.  He'd stayed up late watching the game (which BTW we won!).  By the time he got up, our boy was out the door headed to the bus stop.  He waved, then came in and poured himself a cup of coffee.  I gave him a quick kiss and headed down to the gym for my workout.  I worked hard today.  I upped the incline to around ten and sped up the speed walk pace to 4.3.  I even did my weight repetitions while on the treadmill.  Now that was a challenge.  Not sure if I'll attempt that one again.  Once I'd done my normal routine of walk, weights, push ups, sit ups, and butt lifts, I grabbed a towel and came back up to the kitchen.  There was no mistaking it.  I was a very tired, sweaty lady.
As I ascended the stairs, the smell was inescapable.  The smell of bacon permeated the kitchen and surrounding rooms.  I mean, it was so strong, I could feel my pores gettin' oily.  My Stepdaughter met me as I came up.  "Dad wants to know if you want a cream cheese omelet."  I watched as he made theirs.  It did look good and cream cheese isn't really that bad for you.  Its got protein, the carbs, sodium and sugar are low, and there are no trans fats.  Still, I always follow my work outs with water and my whey protein fruit smoothie.  I had to consider...did I really want an omelet?  "No thanks", I said, I'll just have my protein smoothie."  I went over to the fridge and downed two full glasses of water (filling up on water lessens hunger levels).  Then I just smiled.  Its funny but, the bacon sitting next to the griddle?  He doesn't even offer it anymore.  He knows me, knows what I'll say.  I'm not quite a vegetarian, but I've eaten no pork and no beef since January and my body thanks me for it everyday.
There are always going to be little insignificant temptations in life.  Remember, temptation is nothing unless you give it power.  And it has no power if you practice self control.  The smell of bacon?  The lure of getting off track?  No worries.  I am stronger than my temptations.  After all, I'm not on a diet.  I'm on a life change.          
Fill up on the healthy stuff like fruit and veggies and you'll find temptation slowly loosing its grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment