Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Smile In Place Of A Grimace

Its Winter at the creek already
When I woke this morning, my shoulder's were sore and my back was aching.  I can't be overdoing it.  I think I might have the sleep number bed set wrong or something.  I dressed in my work out clothes and came downstairs to feed the cat and have a cup of coffee.  When our youngest left for school, I went outside to straighten the flag.  It sometimes gets all twisty in the wind.  It was a beautiful morning, sixty plus degrees, cool and just a little bit damp.  On the news, the weatherman had said it would rain over the next couple of days.  I thought about walking outside, but initially was afraid to get caught in a downpour coming home.  Instead, I hit the treadmill.
You know, its strange to me but, the walking is less of a challenge now.  I need more.  I need further and faster than before.  I wish I could run.  I walked my five miles, then stepped off.  My shoulders were still aching.  Still, I couldn't just stop.  I didn't feel like I had done enough, pushed myself as far as I could go. I decided to skip the weights today, and try to beat the rain.  I didn't bother with the iPod.  I just grabbed my phone and my keys and headed out.  The air felt good and my body felt strong as I began my walk.  And I remembered to bring my pedometer today so I would know just how far I had gone.  With no music to occupy my mind, I was able to take in the beauty of this time of year.  The fallen leaves covered the sidewalk.  In some places, the trees were completely void of leaves while, in others, they held on desperately.  The colors were magnificent purples, greens, reds, oranges, and yellows...a patchwork jacket of brilliant Autumn life surrounded by the inevitable cloak of Winter.  I wanted the Autumn to last.  I wanted to hold to the warm colors.  I knew, when the colorful leaves were completely gone, the Winter's cold would bring only pain.
My neighbor's confused tree (purple, red, orange, yellow or green?)
I was two miles into my walk, when my good knee began to give a bit.  First one goes bad, then the other...I've had problems with my right knee for years but, the left one began to go all wacky back when we were in Arizona this last time.  Back then, it locked up on me so bad, the doctor wanted me to get scheduled for surgery the very next day.  We had tickets for Disneyland and I didn't have the heart to let the kids down.  I chose Disneyland.  I just walked slow and took lots of breaks.  Pretty soon, the knee loosened up and I was miraculously healed.  I don't know...guess it could have been the power of Mickey Mouse that cured me.  All I know is, I never did have that surgery.
Sure, it acts up now and then but, when I'm out there walking and someone passes me going the other way, I just smile.  Its takes the place of my grimace of pain.  Today, I smiled at several folks.  When I found myself alone, I started humming a familiar tune from an old animated Christmas movie I watched every year growing up (and still do).  Do you remember it?

"Santa Claus is coming to town" ~ 1970

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

Well, with that obvious motivation, I finally made it home...even with my sore knee.  When I got there, my Stepdaughter was working out.  After showers, we headed out to do a bit of Christmas shopping.  The heat from the shower always makes my knee feel better.  Today, I have logged 11.4 miles so far all because I replaced my grimace...with a smile.  : )  

No comments:

Post a Comment