Wednesday, November 9, 2011

From "C" To Shining "C"

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/281/15/1460.full.pdf

Yesterday afternoon, I was headed out the door.  I needed to pick up some honey for my honey mustard chicken breast dinner.  I asked my kids if they wanted anything special.  My teenager said he wanted tangerines.  I'll be honest, it kind of threw me off balance.  I'm used to the usual request of honey buns or zebra cakes.  When my kids ask for fruit, I listen.  As I saw it, this was an opportunity.  I told him my knowledge of citrus fruits was pretty limited.  I asked him to come along, keep me company, and pick out exactly what he wanted.  I mean, mom might screw it up and get regular oranges or even grapefruit by mistake.  I needed his expertise in this matter (pretty sneaky huh?).  He dragged his feet, but eventually he hopped in the car with me and came along.  In the end, we got more than bargained for spending nearly $50 in groceries.  No worries.  At this age, they tend to eat everything in sight.  At least I know my ever growing boy will not go hungry. 
This little mini adventure got me to thinking...how much vitamin C do we need?  Am I getting enough?
When I wake up in the morning, I take a multivitamin.  I has, according to the label, 60mg of vitamin C.  I clearly reads that this is 100% of my daily allowance.  But, I also get vitamin C in my whey protein smoothie drinks.  Last night, I had vitamin C when I ate broccoli as a side to my chicken dish.  Do I need to be following suit with my youngest and adding one of those bright colored tangerines to the diet.  They are so much work with the peeling, they make my hands smell all orangey, and they make such a mess with that sticky juice.  Ugh! Can't I just have an Emergen-C in water?  1000mg???? Wait a minute...maybe that's too much... Earlier in the year, when I was feeling under the weather, I would throw a packet of Emergen-C in with a glass of orange juice.  It never really helped, but mom always said to boost my vitamin C if I feel a cold coming on.  Nowadays, I try not to do it too often.  I prefer to get my vitamin C in foods I eat.  The sugar is pretty high in Orange Juice (22g sugar) and, even if they are natural sugars, I have tried to cut back on sugar.   Adding a bit garlic to my foods seems to work more effectively when I catch a cold.  By the way, if you want to try the 1000mg Emergen-C, stick with the orange flavor.  The Raspberry is pretty nasty tasting.  Want to know where your favorite fruits stand?  Check out this cool link I found.    http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml 
Well, time to walk.  Have a healthy day.  Make good choices.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment