Saturday, November 19, 2011

On The Day I Passed 1300 Miles


While the rest the family slept, my husband and I quietly left early on our way to the St Jude's walk at Potomac Mills Mall.  We were there early so, at first, we just sat and people watched.  We were worried few would show up that early on a Saturday morning but, by 0700, we found there was no need.  A massive and highly motivated showing from a local sorority seem to invade the food court.  They were followed by parents, their children, cheerleaders, Girl Scouts, etc.  I have absolutely no idea of the exact numbers, but I'd say even Santa was impressed.  My only thought was..."Santa is in awfully good shape.  I think he's been walking in 2011.  I wonder if Mrs. Claus was looking good as well."
At 0745, we were led in warm up exercises.  My husband and I stood behind a group of young ladies who, might well have been a high school dance team.  Surprisingly, we kept up.  The beginning the 5k walk felt a bit like the beginning of any race, all bunched up and confused.  We broke out of the crowd into a speed walk as soon as possible.  We kept a good pace and, whenever possible, we took the stairs.  It wasn't long before we heard music.  There was a country music band positioned in front of TJ Maxx.  Cool.  By the end of the first lap, we had passed Santa.  Near the end of the walk, we found we had pulled ahead of everyone including other speed walkers.  Walking two laps at the mall we normally walk three is really not much of a challenge.  But, I'm guessing, even with the consistent water break stops, it wasn't really meant to be.
Today's event wasn't about working up a sweat.  It was about supporting St Jude's Hospital.
http://www.givethankswalk.org/  Once he and I completed the final lap, and before everyone caught up, we stopped for a lemonade.  I had my photo taken with "Wendy". 














You know, I may be smiling, but I was sad yesterday.  It is hitting me that my blog will end soon.  I know whatever I have accomplished this year will soon be forgotten.  For this walk, I set out to raise $500 but, by walk time, had no other contributions but ours.
But somehow, this morning, I just felt proud that we did what we made a commitment to do.  We donated.  And, side by side, we walked the entire course through crowds that, in days not long ago, would have quickly caused me an anxiety attack.  In my heart, I had to believe that maybe, just maybe, our small donation to this worthy cause would help a child somewhere in this world become well again.
We are so very thankful that our children are healthy, and that we are a healthier couple in 2011.  It is my hope that others will see what we did and be inspired to do the same.
Then, we headed home to the kids.  I looked over to my husband and told him, "You know I passed 1300 today."  He smiles and says, "I think you'll make it to 1500 this year."  I'm not sad anymore.          

No comments:

Post a Comment