Thursday, November 17, 2011

Yes, Shopping Counts

I got up this morning and hit the treadmill again five miles at about a 4.3.  It averages out to a 13-14 minute mile, but I steadily increase my incline as time passes.  My intent now is to do my weights one day on and one day off so as to give my sore shoulders a rest.  Today was a day off.  I knew this wouldn't be enough of a challenge, so I thought I might walk outside.  Unfortunately, my plan went up in smoke pretty quickly.  It was around 40 degrees and raining.  Mmmm...smoke...what a perfect day for a fire in the fireplace.  Maybe when I'm in for the night.
Anyway, I decided to adapt to the weather situation and do a bit of Christmas shopping.  So, I went up and got ready for my shower.  Uh oh...forgot to fix the shower head.  I'm glad no one was home because there I was wandering around the house in nothing but my bath towel looking for the new shower head.  Then, when I found it, I had to open it.  I mean, who makes those things?  The package said that it would "install in minutes".  Well, that was true for the most part.  It probably took less than a minute to actually install it.  What took forever was cutting into the plastic packaging and as sharp as the edges were, I came close to having to call the paramedics.  And that would not have been a good idea seeing as I was standing there in only my bath towel.
Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit about the difficulty, but I did have to be careful not to cut myself.  It was seriously sharp.  Why make it that difficult?  Do they really believe someone is going to walk in to the store and steal a shower massager?  Well...maybe.  : P
I eventually got the thing installed and I forgave the "Waterpik" folks for causing me such early morning anxiety.  And I felt better after I showered.  Well enough, in fact, to go out shopping for Christmas presents.  I got dressed, clipped on my pedometer and hit the stores.  I went all over town, the shopping plazas, the mall, everywhere.  You know what?  In the end, I had logged another four miles.  That's in addition to the five I did on the treadmill.  Yes, as long as you are logging those miles on your pedometer, shopping counts.  I'll bet you're doing a lot of shopping this holiday season.  What do I say?  It all counts!
When I got home, I zeroed out the pedometer and wrapped my first Christmas present...to my mom.  What is it?  I'll never tell.  I can tell you this...its not a Waterpik.  Much as I love my new shower massager, I don't have the heart to put her through that.  She's in her eighties.  I stuck with something easy to open.    

No comments:

Post a Comment