Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Ten Mile Day Ends With A Big Bang

The leaves are beginning to fall
As we were getting ready this morning, my husband reminded to keep the noise down.  Today was a teacher work day and the kids were still sleeping.  So, we came downstairs and went about our normal everyday routine if more quietly than usual.  Yes, I could have slept in.  I chose not to. I wanted to spend, what has become, valuable "us" time with my husband.  We had our coffee and chatted.  We're going to have to wait to begin the "Fit books" we bought.  We can't do all the preliminary stuff.  He has to download the instructions to the Brookstone scale so we can check our body fat percentages.  The instructions are around eighteen pages long.  Way too complicated.  Well, what's another day?  Besides, I still have my tiny journal.  Soon, he was off to work and I was all by myself (well, everyone else was still asleep).  So, I did what I always do.  I headed down to our basement gym.  This morning, I planned to take it easy.  My shoulders were just a little stiff.  Maybe I slept wrong.  I hopped on the treadmill just in time to watch my favorite news, "The Today Show".  This week is "Where In The World Is Matt Lauer".  This morning, he was in Spain.  As I walked, I reminisced about my time in Spain.  I went to Majorca, Spain once for two weeks in 1983 when I was 19 and again, at age 20, in the summer of 1984.  I will never forget it.  It was there, I first tried Paella and Sangria.  And Majorca had the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, white sand and crystal blue waters so clear you could see what color your toenails were.  It made me smile like the Cheshire Cat to remember my time there.  You see, how can I put this delicately?  The beaches in Majorca are somewhat less inhibited than the beaches here in the United States.   And, at the time, I was what you might call...fearless.  As I finished my treadmill walk, I couldn't help but wonder if I was still brave enough for those Majorca beaches.  What the heck....I thought.  Thirty years later, I would totally rock that bikini even if it was only the bottom half.
After my five miles, my shoulder was still bothering me, so I did a quick fifty push ups and hundred my sit ups, then came back upstairs.  My Stepdaughter was up and about, but my youngest was still asleep.  I let him sleep in.  I decided, if I was going to slack off on the weights today, I would do a bit of extra walking.  It was cool, but not too bad for November.  The leaves were beginning too fall from the brilliantly colored trees.  Autumn is one of my favorite seasons.  I just wish it wasn't followed by Winter.
I changed my shirt, bundled up in clothes I could shed if I got too warm, and headed out to walk the neighborhood.  It was pretty chilly.  I never did shed those extra clothes.  By the time I got home, I was achy and starving.  My shoulders had loosened up, but my knees were tight and my toe was cramping UGH!  I really wish  I knew what was going on with my cramping big toes.  I keep thinking I am being punished for all those years of wearing combat boots in lieu of sensible shoes.  I mean, what constitutes "sensible" when it comes to shoes anyway?  Between the gym and neighborhood, I had walked a total of ten miles today.
As I hobbled into the kitchen, my youngest came downstairs.  "Morning", he said.  I made myself a bowl of Chobani vanilla, with a scoop of Bear Naked Fit vanilla almond crunch (low sugar), and a scoop of washed fresh blueberries we'd picked up at Costco the other day.  Let me tell you...it tasted even better than it looks.  We sat there and watched our new favorite "family" show..."The Big Bang Theory".
"You know something", I told him..."I walked ten miles before you even woke up this morning."
He doesn't even look my way.  He just says, "Cool."
Its okay.  He's a teenager.  He doesn't have to say it.  I know he's proud of his old mom.  I know I am a better role model to him now that I am making healthier choices.  But best of all, I know I will be there...
to love, and laugh, and experience new things with him and his siblings for a long long time.
"Let's put on another episode, okay?"  I'm secretly hoping laughter will take my mind off my aches and pains.

Doesn't this look good?
       

No comments:

Post a Comment