Saturday, November 5, 2011

Resisting Temptation

Last night was one of those nights when we wanted something quick and easy.  We were heading out to the High School football game.  We didn't want to get there and find ourselves tempted by the concession stand.  So, we threw this together.  Believe me, it tastes much better than it looks.    
Take a medium to large tomato and cut in wedges.  Set aside.  Mix canned chicken breast, mayo (we used the reduced fat mayonnaise with olive oil), and a chopped Granny Smith Apple.  Scoop and set on your wedged tomato.  Pepper to taste.  Light, easy, inexpensive, and a healthier choice especially when split three ways.  
http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/productsandbrands/spreads/spoonables/kraftmayowitholiveoil.aspx
It was a chilly night for a Homecoming game, but we didn't mind.  We'd spent it with family and oh, by the way, our team won the game 42 to 7.   Afterwards, when it was time to leave, I could barely stand.  I'd walked ten miles on that day and the cold air had caused my back and knees to tighten up on me.  My husband had to assist me down the bleachers and I felt like an old woman walking to the parking lot.  Almost there...I told myself...almost to the seat heaters.
This morning, I felt much better.  Sometimes, it absolutely amazes me how quickly I can recover nowadays.  I popped right out of bed, ready to bake brownies for the Homecoming Dance.  Don't be silly.  I didn't have any.  I bake.  I don't partake.  Don't get me wrong.  I love sweets.  Its just that, with my alternate stash of sugar free yummy treats, I have no need for the naughty decadent stuff.
My husband came down and helped me.  Then we did our best to create a lovely presentation for the kids.  My Stepdaughter and I drove to the school to drop them off.  There, out of sight, out of mind.  No temptation.  It was the same with the Halloween leftovers.  We always buy way too much Halloween candy.  I sent them in to work with my husband.
Once the brownies were at school, we went to work on this weekend's home improvement project.  Our microwave had pretty much run its course (as seen in the fact that it stopped working).  It was time to replace it.  With a different bracketing system, we had to take the whole thing down.  It wasn't easy, but with a little muscle and a lot of ingenuity, the three of us finally figured it out.  Now, we have a brand new microwave.  Finally, I can make my microwavable steamed veggies again.  I prefer the microwavable bagged veggies to the canned ones we pour in a pot and boil on the stove.  They taste fresher, don't you think?   http://www.greengiant.com/pages/whats-new.aspx   
Once the manual labor was done, my Stepdaughter and I went for a walk in the neighborhood.  I know.  I know.  Its a weekend.  Its a recovery day.  But, you know what?  I felt energetic for some reason.  I don't know where it came from but, I really felt like walking.  So what if it was Saturday.  The days of the week didn't seem to matter.  I wanted to move and well, I guess my Stepdaughter did as well.  It was nice to have someone to chat with while I walked, someone who cares as much about being healthy and fit as I do.  While we walked, the boys had time to bond.  Okay, I guess that's what we were doing too...four miles of bonding.  Working out and cooking healthy are excellent opportunities for bonding.      

No comments:

Post a Comment